ramryan

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Hey guys, I'm running an 18 month year old Compaq Presario CQ60. I noticed that over the last year or so it's been gradually running hotter and hotter, and so I downloaded core temp and could not believe my eyes when it said that my CPU is running at around 99C!! I downloaded speedfan to see if this was a software error, but speedfan now reports the CPU running at 99C and the GPU at 238C!

The amazing thing is the laptop seems to continue running as normal, so I can't believe that this is accurate, it's certainly hot, but I can't believe it's over 100C in there.

Anyone got any idea what's going on?

Well, 99C might be possible on your laptop, but you should seriously think of cleaning the dust out of the vents. As for the GPU at 238C... I very much doubt so. It would be a glitch... most GPUs shut down once they hit ~100-110C. What are the specifications of your laptop? If you don't know, go to Start, and in the search box type in dxdiag, which will tell you the CPU in the first tab, and GPU in the 'Display' tab.

ramryan

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Hi, thanks for the fast reply! I was thinking the same. Perhaps I should invest in a can of compressed air? The CPU is an AMD Turion Dual Core RM-70 at 2GHz, the GPU is a Nvidia GeForce 8200M G...

Still I wonder what temperature the CPU should be running at, on a machine like this.

Strangely enough despite these high temperature readings, there don't seem to be any performance issues with the machine. I mean it's slowed down significantly in the year and a half since I bought it, but that's to be expected the amount that I use it... :D

A can of compressed air would be perfect. If you think you can do it - I personally wouldn't, because I'm not sure the correct way to do it, but if you feel confident enough I'd open up the laptop, and remove all the dust that's gathered inside. As for the GPU, I remember the GeForce 8400M GS and 8600M GT being recalled because of quality issues regarding heat and solder, but I don't think this involves the 8200M G, considering it's integrated and all, and really you shouldn't worry too much about that GPU temp - it's a glitch IMO.

ramryan

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Hahaha, I guess at 238C it really would be. As there do not appear to be flames shooting from the back of my laptop at present, I can assume that it probably isn't! :D

I would like to disassemble it personally to clean it out, but I couldn't be 100% sure how to put it back together successfully either. When using the compressed air, I guess I should be pretty careful blasting air into the laptop right? Wouldn't want to cause more damage!

ramryan

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Thanks for the advice guys, some of the most helpful people I've bumped into on a forum in a long time! Was just worried about blowing the dust further into the machine.

Now... where can I buy a can of compressed air in Hong Kong.... :D Don't worry, I'm sure you can't answer that one...

ramryan

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Wow! As a lonely exchange student in this far flung corner of the world, that was pleasant surprise! Spent a lot of time in Prince Edward and Mong Kok but never been to Sham Shui Po before! Many thanks, I'll check it out.