Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GA-P35-DS3L - Hangs at ACPI Controller

Last response: in Motherboards
January 22, 2011 3:28:44 PM

Is anyone else experiencing the above motherboard hanging at 'ACPI Controller' after a reboot? Any solutions? I'll try to update the BIOS later, will let the community know if this works.
January 23, 2011 11:12:14 AM

RALF_CT said:
Is anyone else experiencing the above motherboard hanging at 'ACPI Controller' after a reboot? Any solutions? I'll try to update the BIOS later, will let the community know if this works.

Feedback: I've tried the BIOS upgrade from F5 to F6 to F7. Each upgrade made no difference, it still hangs at 'ACPI Controller' and fails to boot. I don't think upgrading to F8 and F9 will make any difference. Strangely, even though it hangs at 'ACPI Controller' it will still continue and boot from the stiffy or CD drives.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 23, 2011 12:42:16 PM

Might be wrong here, but I think we've seen this before, and the ACPI thing is, essentially, a 'red herring'... The ACPI controller just happens to be the last item on the list of junk the interrupt controller has to assign, thus staying on-screen and appearing to hang. First thing I'd try is disconnecting HDs, toss a bootable (win installer or MemTest) disk into the DVD/CD, and see if she boots right up.
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2011 4:35:26 PM

bilbat said:
Might be wrong here, but I think we've seen this before, and the ACPI thing is, essentially, a 'red herring'... The ACPI controller just happens to be the last item on the list of junk the interrupt controller has to assign, thus staying on-screen and appearing to hang. First thing I'd try is disconnecting HDs, toss a bootable (win installer or MemTest) disk into the DVD/CD, and see if she boots right up.

Yes, I can access an XP install CD and reinstall the OS, however, the same will happen once the new install is loaded (as per benn_gunn who has been through all the motions [thanks, Ben!]). I haven't tried this while all the hard drives are disconnected though.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 23, 2011 4:47:48 PM

Well, I actually didn't mean to infer another install - all I'm wondering is whether, with the HD(s?) disconnected, the boot lag goes away... I've had troubles with some Seagates not coming on-line at powerup - they delay, and make kind of a 'clank' when (I'm assuming) their heads finally unship - and booting, even off another drive is delayed until this happens.
m
l
January 23, 2011 6:27:18 PM

bilbat said:
Well, I actually didn't mean to infer another install - all I'm wondering is whether, with the HD(s?) disconnected, the boot lag goes away... I've had troubles with some Seagates not coming on-line at powerup - they delay, and make kind of a 'clank' when (I'm assuming) their heads finally unship - and booting, even off another drive is delayed until this happens.

I've tried disconnecting the hard drives ... still hangs at ACPI COntroller, just reaches that point a little quicker. I'm still waiting on Gigabyte Technical Support to revert, will let you know if and when they do, and what they say.
m
l
January 25, 2011 6:08:39 AM

UPDATE:

Prior to the ACPI Controller issue my PC would reset after reaching the Windows logo. I subsequently ran a scan on the drive and both the short and long DST tests failed. The drive was replaced, everything reloaded and the machine was back in action after a day or so.

The ACPI Controller issue cropped up after I opened a file which Avast recognized as a virus (and deleted). Avast also suggested a boot time scan, only, this boot time scan could never take place due to the system 'hanging' at the ACPI Controller (probably due to the virus having corrupted the boot sector, or some or other boot file). I've also tried a FIXMBR but that made no difference. This morning I booted the machine with no drives connected, it got as far as the ACPI Controller but then a message along the lines of 'BOOT DISK MISSING' flashed on the screen. Even though it appeared to be hanging at ACPI Controller things were still happening in the background.

This is where it gets interesting. I then fitted an old IDE drive on which I loaded XP last week to run Seatools on my original boot drive. Lo and behold, the system boots.

I've since ordered a USB/SATA adaptor which will allow me to test my SATA drive on another machine with Avast antivirus installed. I may just be able to save this PC!
m
l
January 26, 2011 4:52:20 AM

The machine is back in action! I performed the following additional tasks:

1. Ran CHKDSK /r from the Recovery Console, several disk errors were found and corrected;
2. Ran FIXBOOT AND FIXMBR from the Recovery Console;
3. Removed the drive and performed a virus scan via the USB SATA adaptor (nothing found);
4. Reinstalled the drive and booted the machine. It booted into the Avast bootscan menu as it should've done after Avast found and deleted the virus (Win32:Rootkit-gen).
5. After the scan completed the machine booted into Windows XP.

I've since upgraded to Retrospect 7.7 and am backing up my hard drives to to separate destinations. I cannot afford this happening again.

For some reason I am not permitted to add [SOLVED] to this message header.
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 5, 2011 8:38:35 AM

If you give a best answer to someone the thread is flagged as solved.
February 5, 2011 8:55:23 AM

Quote:
If you give a best answer to someone the thread is flagged as solved.

I've been updating the thread as the problem progressed, and when it was solved. 'Best Answer' does not appear in this case.
m
l
February 5, 2011 8:56:50 AM

Best answer selected by RALF_CT.
m
l
!