4770 not doing audio???

bassballboy

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I have had nothing but issues with the 4770.... My latest problems is that I built a computer for a friend with this card in it, thinking that it was guaranteed that it would do audio over HDMI (via converter).

I personally have a 3850, and I'm using its dvi to hdmi adapter since XFX is apparently too cheap to put one in with their card. The card shows up as not plugged in on his on his playback devices.... We have the newest drivers, CCC, and avivo on there. Once it popped up something about getting an adapter, yet this is the one that came with my card. I am baffled... Any ideas??? Could it be that the adapter works with the 3xxx series but not the 4xxxx series? This is killing me :(

bassballboy

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
The cable is good, I took the computer into my room and hooked it up on my computer's cable.

Could it be the adapter? Maybe this card won't do audio? Baffling... Should be plug and play.

Hi, it clearly think you are using an hdmi to dvi cable instead of hdmi to hdmi.

I am unsure of why that would be the case. I know as well as you that it should transmit audio fine. The drivers appear to be working at least in that second screen shot you posted as the HDMI is shown.

Has the TV/monitor got a second HDMI input you could try by any chance. The card appears to be misreading it.

That I do not know as I have only used the ati supplied one. However, unless the capabilities of the 4 series changed somewhat from the 2 and 3 series to warrant a different adapter I would have thought it would have worked.

It could be I suppose.

I think you need a native HDMI port on the card to get audio via the card (no adapters)

I tryed to get audio from my old 4890 and I was using a DVI to HDMI adapter and I got no sound, But I do get sound from my 5850 which has a native HDMI port.

bassballboy

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
It's supposed to be able to do audio via adapter, my 3850 does. I really don't want to have my friend buy a $15 adapter and then it not work too...

The adapter we're using right now is the one from my 3850 which came with my card...

bassballboy

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Also, could it be motherboard related? It's a GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD...

I'm about to just sell the card and have him get a 5670 with hdmi built in, I'm hoping I can figure it out, but I am lost and can't think of any other options :(

bassballboy

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Ok, so I just got done installing my 350 in his rig to make sure it wasn't related to the mobo. I plugged it it, updated drivers, restarted... then boom - audio works on the 3850. Plugged the 4770 back in and nothing on the audio side still.

It has to be hardware or software related to the card, I'm very close to giving up on it...

TRENDING THREADS