Sign in with
Your question

Random freezeing

Last response: in Systems
May 7, 2010 6:49:35 PM

Hi, my pc has lately started to freeze randomly, whether in a game or just idle, the displayed image at the time just freezes and remains there until a restart/shut down..

It got so bad windows would not start so i had to do a fresh install and its happened twice in one hour

i tried 1 ram stick at a time and even my older ram and it still happened, tried two different 4890 graphic cards,and even unclocked the cpu/ram

intel 80gb ssd
seagate 500gb hdd
radeon 4890 gfx
intel i7 930 at 4ghz
corsair xms3 6gb triple channel
corsair 950w psu
asus p6td deluxe

need urgent help

really appreciate any help and thanks for reading!

More about : random freezeing

a b B Homebuilt system
May 7, 2010 7:08:48 PM

This almost always happens because your RAM isn't getting enough voltage. Did you set that manually when you were doing the overclocking, or did you just set the RAM speed and timings? I'll bet you anything those sticks of RAM take 1.6V or 1.65V and the motherboard is set to either 1.5V or "auto" by default.

This also could be happening if you have a stick of RAM that's going bad, but I'd say that's much less common, and more unlikely since the problem persists with your old RAM and with one stick at a time. If the voltage isn't what's doing it, though, I'd try running memtest86+ and see if any errors come up.

Random freezing where the power stays on and the display stays on almost always has something to do with memory, though.
May 7, 2010 7:31:41 PM

Hi

in the bios, it states according to intel spec going over 1.65dram bus voltage may permanantely damage the cpu!!!

the current setting is on 1.64, next option is on 1.66 on the dram bus voltage
and on 1.64 it never happened before till recently

thanks for the help

happened as i was halfway through writing this reply 10minutes ago
Related resources
May 7, 2010 8:18:53 PM

1.64 is fine. ASUS has .2 increments so you can't set the exact 1.65. Run the memtest. How are your temps.? Try setting everything to default in the bios. No O.C. If it fixes then increase your O.C. slowly till the systems locks again, then back it off till stable. Have you run Prime or other tests to insure your system is stable at current settings? Components do change over time.
May 7, 2010 8:30:48 PM

I have ran numerous prime 95 tests
12 hours
24 hours
16 hours
and it never failed with the overclocked settings

cpu reaches 85c max on the highest core but averages around 81c in prime 95
May 7, 2010 8:36:51 PM

Clearly something has changed. If it was me I would set everything to default and check it out.
May 7, 2010 9:18:00 PM

i bought it as part of a overclocked bundle in which the company overclocks them and has a warranty on the three parts, cpu,ram,mobo

i put the bios to complete default and now its ran for over an hour without crashing

why would the overclock suddenly go wrong if its the case?
May 8, 2010 12:03:53 PM

It still happens without any overclocking

maybe its a faulty cpu?
May 10, 2010 3:21:35 AM

Are you running windows 7?
May 10, 2010 12:51:19 PM

There are many references to random freezing on the web. The link below offers a few steps to possible solution. I would start to think the issue is software related. We always look first to memory as the source of lockups. If you rule the memory out then a software conflict is a good bet. You can remove all but one stick of memory and check if freezes happen with each single stick by swapping only one at a time in and out. So if the memory looks good, temps. are not high and everything is tight and well seated in its slots; software conflict may be the thing.

Note the second possible solution in the article. It refers to the power saving settings as a possible source. Check yours first before moving to the third issue.

Since you say the lock up has occurred at start up, I start to think it is a services conflict. The services load at start up.

http://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-random-freezes-potent...
!