Cant boot past post

Ok so I built this computer for my mom 6 mouths ago. Its been working fine until today. When I hit the power button the foxconn logo comes up , I get a post, then theres just a blank screen with a blinking cursor at the top left. It just sits there. Anyone know whats wrong? Heres the specs

motherboard: Foxconn P41A-G
Ram: 2GB ddr2 800 mhz
cpu: intel pentium dual core 2.0 ghz
graphics: integrated
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 160GB

I booted off windows 7 disk and ran the repair. I opened the command prompt and did a bootsect /n60 ALL. but that didn't do anything. I don't think its the hard drive or windows 7. I think its the mbr or something to do with the motherboard or its settings. I got a cmos check sum error, and i replaced the battery but that didn't do anything either. What do you guys think?
5 answers Last reply
More about cant boot past post
  1. Since you already tried repair install then it is possible that your motherboard is bad. Do you have two sticks of ram? If so try starting with one at a time.
  2. There is two sticks. the motherboard could be bad. I'll try the ram but wouldn't it do a beep code if something was wrong with it or no?
  3. It will beep with no ram not necessary with faulty ram.
  4. Oh
  5. The hard drive either died or is corrupt. Do a reinstall, and you should be as good as new unless the hard drive is toast. Every major Hard drive manufacturer makes diagnostics for their drives. Run a test.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards