blue90

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
I am thinking of purchasing a 120gb or 128 gb SSD card. But the issue is, I have no clue which one would be better for me. I was looking at newegg, found a intel one that was discounted, sandisk extreme and bunch of others. Which SSD would best fit my runescape grave? I will most likely be running abunch of bots, these bots use java scripts to operate. Any ideas on what would be best?

In real life, There is NOT a lot of difference in real Life performance in the better ones - DON't rely on Benchmarks as they can be misleading. Buy based on relieability/least user problem. For this go to newegg and look at customer reviews (must have at least 30 or more reviewers). Look for a low % of 1/2 egg percentages.

There are a couple that do have slightly lower performance they are the SATA III SSDs that use aSync NAND chips (ie Agillity III and Muchkins enhanced (The delux version use Sync NAND Chips so is OK)

My preference is for the Curcial M4 and the Samsung 830.
I have 2 128 gig M4's, 2 x 128 gig Samsung 830s and 2 x120 gig Agillity IIIs. Should have my 3rd M4 in a couple of hours.

!20 Gig (predominatley Sandforce 22xx controller.
Any of these between 100->130 would be about the same. the ONly one less than 100 would be the ADATA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008120%20600038519%20600038484&IsNodeId=1&name=120GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008120%20600038519%20600038478&IsNodeId=1&name=128GB

Of these My choice is (About the most poulare and has very low neg reviews)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-148-442

Note the price is about the same for 120 gig and 128 gig. 120 gig slightly cheaper, but also slight smaller.

In the 128 Gig catagory (which is my prefernance)

SD Extreme is OK
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171567
Cost wise no lower than 128 gig m4, SD has kind of low 4K random reads (This is one of the more important parameres for a Boot OS drive.)

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Not 100% sure about botting, but it doesn't seem like an SSD would speed up javascript execution much...
If it does, you may get more performance by creating a ram-disk to run your scripts from (assuming the performance boost you see is from the decreased access time to the files being interpreted).

For generic PC performance reasons though, an SSD is a great addition to any rig.

blue90

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

I noticed you said the m4, I was looking at it and noticed that the write speed is at 145mbs, read speeds 550. In a performance wise, would the SD Extreme beat the m4? I am getting a SSD so I can load the bots faster, its basically a java API that launches and then a java script that operates during botting.

blue90

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

Ram-disk? Mind me asking how do I create one of those?

A SATA III SSD will run great off of one of the two Intel SATA III ports
My prefererence on SSD is Curcial M4 and Samsunsung 830 - they seem to have the a lower neg rating at new egg. For many of the top tier Sata III SSDs you will NOT see much performance diff in real life Usage.

blue90

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

So I can use them. I can use sata 6gb's right? Also, with that being said, The m4 vs the sandisk extreme which would load my os faster, and run a multi java applications?

Yes Sata III = 6.
As to which is fastest. You would have to look for a specific Test showing the two.
On boot time I'm quesing the m4 would be faster as it has Higher 4 k random reads I think. How often to you boot, saving two sec on boot is not much as probably not do much in two sec. I normally turn min computer on and walk a way and come back - And it's not because of boot time.

If working with small files, then Random is very important. when working with Very large file stuctures - Some photos can be 10 megs, a video .VOB is typically 1 Gig, and a blu-ray video can be up to 40 gigs (Watching it is no problem, you can do that at the really slow speed of a DVD, its encoding) these need High Sequencial performance. Reads are more common than writes.

Bottom line - Unless some one has both, it's going to be hard to get an honest answer.

blue90

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Oh alright, well since a java api would be small. I assume the m4 would be better. is there anything better then the m4 in random speeds. How exactly do you guys read ssds?

Google the SSD and look for reviews.
Most reviews show performance based on ATTO which uses UNcompressed data - not realistic.
You want to look for resullt using AS SSD which uses compressed data.
They use to show peformance using PCMark Vantage, which uses "Real" programs to perform the Benchmark. However as there just was NOT a big bifference it seems they quit using it - They prefer to use the "WOW factor and try to show a BIG difference between the SSD - Just not good as "the user" will normally not see the "WOW" difference.