What's your favorite aluminum case?

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
So I'm saving up for a silver x900 but getting cold feet. I seem to keep liking cases that don't fit the monstrous ati cards, but I think fit the top nvidias still. I'd like something in the ballpark of the x900. No plastic for sure and preferably aluminum over steel. Not even sure what case i currently have anymore as it was from my first build about seven years ago. It's big and steel with some plastic. It seems to HAF computers are popular now, but I think they are UGLY. Any thoughts for me? I like the look of the corsair 800D, but it appears to be slightly larger than a compact car.

thanks.

You may as well take a look at the Lian-Li PC A70F.. I have one for my workstation and am plenty proud of it.. Excellent fit and finish which provides a very elegant look.. Lots of room inside.. And a very well laid cooling setup which is very efficient and at the same time, very quiet also..

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
That's a sexy looking case. I don't know what your experience is with other cases, but is the lian li quality with the extra money? How about the difference of all aluminum compared to steel and plastic?

Thanks for the thoughts.

AMW1011

Distinguished
My Favorite Aluminum case? Well all my favorite cases are aluminum so this one is easy. I love the Lian Li PC-a77f and the Silverstone TJ07 (I own the latter). The Silverstone TJ07 has some great cooling if you mess with it a bit. I have the 2 5.25" HDD enclosures with a 120mm fan on each inside my case and 2 good fans exhausting air out of the top. The TJ07 is also one of the absolute best water cooling cases out, it can fit a quad radiator and up to 2 dual radiators without modification.

The PC-A77f is... well its impressive to say the least.

Yes, Lian Li quality is second to none. The Silverstone TJ07 is the only other case that comes close to Lian Li quality, and it still falls short. You won't understand the quality and the difference until you see one in person.

Both aluminium and steel have their own merits and demerits.. Aluminium has the weight advantage.. Steel has the cost advantage.. Aluminium cases are quoted to produce more noise and vibrations (although I've not experienced any of those with my case).. Aluminium cases also tend to go by recommendation in heavy humid climatic places (like near sea) as they wont get corroded.. The list goes on.. I've owned quite a few cases up until now.. The PC A70F is my first all aluminium.. If You've seen and liked it in photo, you are sure gonna love it in person.. Quality wise, no other case manufacturer comes close to Lian-Li.. I was in the market to get a full tower for myself and initially had the idea of getting an Antec 1200.. But one look at this and i dint needed a second though.. Its just so damn good.. Like i mentioned before, it has loads of room, very efficient and quite cooling and looks big and gorgeous (may be a little understated to someone's liking).. Now am looking up to get a case for my gaming rig and the PC A77F is on top of my list.. Sadly, its not available with the local dealers.. You should definitely look at it in person and compare to the other popular cases side by side and build up the idea for yourself.. They are sure pricy but then, such quality should not come cheap also..

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Looks like a nice case this Lian Li PC-a77f. I have never had a window, so I'm kind of leaning toward that. I assume this if a full tower? I have that right now too, but I'm leaning towards moving to a mid tower. Maybe the aluminum design would make it easier to move for lan parties even in a full tower too?

AMW1011

Distinguished

A77F is an excellent choice.. But am not so much sure on it being a LAN party kindda case.. Its light weight compared to other steel full towers.. But it has weight for sure and exclusion of top mounted handle bars (a common, and must IMO, feature nowadays with LAN party cases) make it somewhat difficult to move around that easily and frequently.. The default design does not comes with a clear side panel also.. So if you need that, you've either buy it from Lian-Li for an added cost or look for some other case.. Lancool is also a subsidiary of Lian-Li and they have aluminium mid towers with clear side window (look at the PC K62).. They don't have the exquisite feel of a regular Lian-Li case though.. If you need a case for LAN parties then I'll recommend the Cooler Master Sniper Black Edition (with a clear side window).. Although steel, it has great fit and finish and feature wise, its a perfect gaming case.. It has excellent cooling, ample amount of interior space and great cable management features along with all black interior which, according to some, is a must for a high end gaming case..

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
incidentally, i think my psu is kind of big, though i love it and i'm wondering if the extra hard drive bays (i think that's what they are) at the bottom of the x900 are easily removable? by which i guess i mean can it come out without me doing damage to the case/modding it?

thanks.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Wondering if anyone knows the space available in the x900 case for the psu? I have a ZALMAN ZM1000-HP 1000W which I think is kind of big because it runs dual heat pipes and has a large exhaust fan. Wondering if I need to worry about removing the hard drive cage in the bottom or even get one of the lian li extensions for psu's. Thanks so much.