My $1000 Gaming Rig, Your Opinions?

Last response: in Systems
May 7, 2010 9:24:32 PM

Processor: 2.66GHz Intel Core i5 Processor i5-750 8MB = $208.90

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 = $190.94

Power Supply: Corsair 650TX 650 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply = $95.21

RAM: Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 XMS3 4 GB PC = $109.54

Hard Drive:
**UPDATE** after some research (and seeing tecmo's configuration) I ordered Western Digital 150 GB VelociRaptor SATA 10,000 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD1500HLFS from Amazon for $126: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digi [...] 641&sr=1-5

2 x GPU : ASUS VIDEO CARD RADEON HD 5770 1GB (crossfire two of them) = $226.84

CPU fan: Cooler Master GeminII S Copper Base Aluminum Fins 5 Heatpipes CPU Cooler = $34.99

Case: Antec THREEHUNDRED Gaming Small Versatile ATX Case = $58.94

Total: $1058.28

What do you think overall for a gaming rig?

I want to overclock the CPU, how far can I go with just the above?
Also, can my 5770s and everything else fit in that case?

More about : 1000 gaming rig opinions

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
May 8, 2010 1:38:08 AM

Solid build!!

The only thing I would consider making a few changes on is your RAM & Hard Drive. For a few more dollars ($10) you can get a G.SKILL RIPJAWS Series 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 Cas7, which will have better performance. Also, I would look to switch the hard to a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB for $10 more. At this time, there is no benefit in SATA 6.0Gb/s, so get a larger capacity hard drive for similar price & equal performance.

Is your price correct for two 5770's or is it just the cost of one card? If it is just the price of one card, I would get a single 5850 over a Crossfire setup. It will have similar performance and leave you room to upgrade with an additional card. This would mean upgrading to the Corsair 750TX, to support the two cards.

All of these components will fit into the Antec 300
a b B Homebuilt system
May 8, 2010 1:45:25 AM

I have had the 300 a few times and the 5770 is a shorter card, 8.5" and will fit fine. Cooling will be an issue in the tight 300, so be sure to get some high CFM fans in the front 120mm spots. I dont know about the oc on the I5, but wouldnt think a 3.4 OC would be out of the question. I would read some reviews on the cpu before you OC it, many list their max OC on air. Also check that the cpu cooler is a good one. Have never used that one and do not know if it is top tier or not. Always buy the best cooler you can afford, it is protecting your processor after all. I have a hyper 212 plus, also a CM cooler and it does a fine job for me.
persoanlly I would try for a little more on the psu, although Corsair is an excellent brand, an OC'd I5 and dual gfx will use some juice. Maybe go 750??? You can find a PSU calculator at www.antec.com. Add 20 or even 25% to whatever they tell you is required. Also be sure the psu has enough 6 pin pcie leads.
m
l
Related resources
May 8, 2010 2:07:20 AM

Thanks for your input guys.

tecmo: That is the price for two 5770s :D  which is why I jumped at the option when I saw it. Also, what do you mean when you say 6 Gb/s hard drives have no advantage "right now" ? Does that mean this is a software issue that applications supporting it don't exist yet or is there going to be more hardware needed to be added later? My motherboard says it supports SATA III...

go48989h: Will the case fans of the Antec 300 not be enough? ATI's website says crossfired 5770s will do fine with a 600W supply, so I thought 650W will be enough for overclocking? I don't plan on adding anything more to the build that would require power than what I already listed. Also, if a PSU like the Corsair 650TX says it is ATI Crossfire certified for the 4850, then it should definitely work for the 5770s right?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 8, 2010 2:33:17 AM

What I'm talking about is currently the SATA3's don't provide enough of a performance increase (if at all) to justify the cost increase. It really comes down to the current limitations of hard drives versus the speed of the SATA3 port.

The Corsair 650TX is good for your setup without issues and that is a great deal on those 5770's.
m
l
May 8, 2010 5:04:38 AM

This looks great, I do believe I'm going to scrap my current build and opt for yours! Imitation is the finest form of flattery for sure!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 8, 2010 6:02:15 AM

cool1wow said:
Also, what do you mean when you say 6 Gb/s hard drives have no advantage "right now" ? Does that mean this is a software issue that applications supporting it don't exist yet or is there going to be more hardware needed to be added later? My motherboard says it supports SATA III...

Current mechanical (traditional) hard drives don't max out SATA II.

The only thing that does begin to use SATA III speeds are some of the fastest SSDs and raided SSDs.

So while purchasing a mobo that supports SATA III isn't a bad idea, there's no benefit to buying hard drives that run SATA III.
m
l
May 8, 2010 7:23:11 AM

Thanks deityrising!

And thank you coldsleep for the explanation
m
l
May 8, 2010 7:48:08 AM

Maybe instead of the 6 Gb/s WD Hard Drive or the Samsung Sprintronic, a 150 GB 10,000 RPM WD VelociRaptor would be a good choice? Will it boost performance significantly? I can get one for $125 and I refuse to spend more than that on a hard drive. I don't need more than 200GB of storage.

**UPDATE** after some research (and seeing tecmo's configuration) I ordered Western Digital 150 GB VelociRaptor SATA 10,000 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD1500HLFS from Amazon for $126: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-VelociRaptor-Desk...
m
l
May 8, 2010 4:20:51 PM

Best answer selected by cool1wow.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 8, 2010 5:18:14 PM

Not sure the 300 youre getting comes with the two front 120's or not. The Illusion does, but the basic 300 doesnt. I suggest the fans if your case doesnt come with them. The 300 is a smaler case and with two cards I would add the front 120's and a side 120.
Techmo is right on the power supply.
m
l
May 8, 2010 7:38:48 PM

Which brand fans do you recommend? Or does it not matter?
m
l
May 9, 2010 2:46:39 AM

Also, am I able to mix RAM? I already bought the Corsair...but the G.Skill Ripjaws looks good too...is it really going to make THAT much of a difference for $10 more?

I heard the Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 XMS3 4 GB PC is optomized for i5 and i7 and a lot of people have been using it with the same processor a smine, while the Ripjaws is optomized for just the i7....
m
l
May 9, 2010 4:25:21 AM

cool1wow said:
Which brand fans do you recommend? Or does it not matter?

Noctua. They are $30 each for a 120mm, but you will get great performance without it sounding like a jet engine.

Don't mix RAM. Even if the timing specs are the same, they weren't tested in the same batch and may cause instability.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 9, 2010 4:53:05 AM

Your ram is fine. Just stick with that. The Noctua fans are excellent, but are expensive. If you spring for them you wont be sorry you did. They will outlast cheaper fans and youll save in the long run. Also, Noktua makes excellent coolers for your cpu too. The thing on fans is youll want to look at cfm, the measurement of air movement. Nothing is perfect, and you can always hange things up in the future when you get back into it and have read more and knw better what you personally like. have fun with your build, thats whats important.
m
l
May 9, 2010 12:26:55 PM

Any idea how future-proof this build is, how many years it will last me for gaming at high/very high details at 1080p ? What would you rate this build on a scale from 1-10 for gaming (not the Windows 7 rating) ?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 9, 2010 1:00:37 PM

cool1wow said:
Any idea how future-proof this build is, how many years it will last me for gaming at high/very high details at 1080p ? What would you rate this build on a scale from 1-10 for gaming (not the Windows 7 rating) ?

I would rate the system a 8/10....

The system will last 3 to 4 years gaming but I would give you a year or two on the Graphics cards before an updated is needed. You would've had a better upgrade path with a single 5850/5870, so you can add a 2nd card for additional power (I understand you couldn't pass up that deal!! :D ). Your next upgrade should be look to add a SSD once you can afford one.
m
l
!