Bad RAM - return to Amazon or Corsair?

marktwayne

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
In another thread I shared my investigation which led me to believe I had bad ram. On December 25, 2010, I ordered a RAM kit from Amazon. The Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 memory kit has two modules. I removed the bad memory module that was corrupting my system. I am currently running fine on one good module - 2GB of RAM.

Since I bought the two sticks as a kit, it seems I would have to return both my good and bad memory to Amazon. That would leave me without a computer for a while. I don't have any extra money at this time to buy new ram before I get a refund. Anyone know of a way I can exchange just the bad ram while I keep running on the good RAM?

Thanks,
Mark

Solution
In my dealings directly with Corsair they requested both sticks sold in the kit even though only one was bad.
To make matters worse it required money out of my pocket to return a defective product.
They made good by sending me a new kit but that took 2 weeks and cost me one way shipping.
I'm pretty sure that's standard procedure for most memory makers rma's.
In my dealings directly with Corsair they requested both sticks sold in the kit even though only one was bad.
To make matters worse it required money out of my pocket to return a defective product.
They made good by sending me a new kit but that took 2 weeks and cost me one way shipping.
I'm pretty sure that's standard procedure for most memory makers rma's.

Solution

marktwayne

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
I started filling out the online RMA form and Corsair says: "Note: if your modules were purchased as a pair (TWIN or VS-KIT), we recommend returning both modules so that your replacement modules will be matched."

How important is this? It is a bummer to be without a computer for a few weeks. It does sound like I can defy them and send just the bad one back, and they will still RMA it.

I hear ya brother ! but i followed their instructions anyways .
I was very tempted to just send the one stick.
As far as a matched set goes it's BS my particular model had no difference between modules and nothing on them denoting otherwise.
I know cuz i had two sets to begin with 4 modules and only one was bad.

kevinc5

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
I had a problem with Corsair RAM a month or two ago One of four sticks wouldn't POST. They asked me to return all four sticks (1x4) and they did an advanced replacement with a (2x2) kit. The whole process took about a week and I had zero downtime. I don't think the advance replacement process was on their web site but if you ask they can probably work it out. Thanks Corsair.

philmoeslim

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

Amazon RMA's it for free. I just did it they sent me new ram with a box and shipping label to send it back.