120 GB Vertex 3 (X2) RAID Not working

lawrencendlw

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
First off let me list the components of the computer in question.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth P67

Ram:CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 Model CMZ4GX3M2A1600C8 (2 of these kits for total of 8GB)

GPU: EVGA 012-P3-1578-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) Classified 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

HDD's: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive and
Western Digital RE4 WD1003FBYX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Enterprise Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80

Case: NZXT Phantom (Pink Edition, She likes pink and so we named the computer Pink Taco lol)

PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RS850-AMBAJ3-US 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

So I did a favor for a friend. I helped her to build her current rig (Parts Mentioned Above) and now that 6 months later she decides that she needs more speed/space so she orders a second OCZ Vertex 3 drive. Well it arrived yesterday and I install it with the first Vertex SSD and go to boot from the windows install disc (I changed the settings in the UEFI BIOS to RAID for the drives instead of AHCI) and i get to the point in the windows install where it asks you for what language you want to install and all of that. The problem is that for some reason, right before it gets to that screen, the lights and lcd screen on her Logitech G510 keyboard and on her Razer Deathadder mouse shut off and both become unresponsive. I cant get past that part. I even tried to switch it back to AHCI and remove the second SSD just so I can format the original SSD (As it was still loaded with windows on it). I was able to format the second drive from within windows but thats as far as I have been able to get. I made sure that both drives are up to date with the latest firmware from OCZ which they are since I flashed them. Do you think that If I use the same OCZ utility to secure erase the first SSD and then try this with both drives blank that it might work? Im hesitant to do this unless its required because as of right now the computer is still useable. Windows still boots on the original drive, but if I format the drive then I run the risk of this problem still happening but not being able to use the computer at all until I figure this out. Any and all help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

You indicated that you changed the SATA ports that the 2 SSDs are connected to to RAID mode, but you did not mention whether or not you created the RAID array.

After you changed the ports to RAID mode you should have then saved your BIOS settings and then rebooted into RAID BIOS (Ctrl-I).

Did you do this step?

When you create a RAID-0 array it deletes all data on all drives that are part of the array.
So make sure you’ve backed up any needed files before you begin.

Your friend will probably not notice any real-world difference with those 2 drives in RAID-0.
Also, there's no fault tolerance with RAID-0 so if one of the drives die then she loses all of her data.

It's probably best that she just uses the 2 drives separately.

lawrencendlw

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
I've made sure that she was fully aware of the risks involved with a raid array but she wants to do it anyways. I have 2 X 1TB Hard drives installed for all of her pictures, music, video's, ect... That she wants to make sure that she keeps and she is tech savvy enough to understand to save it all there. Now as to the setting up of a raid array, the option never came up. With the Asus Sabertooth P67 motherboard, is it Ctrl + I? should there be a prompt of some sort to do it?

Yes

On most motherboards, yes there should be some kind of prompt during POST. I don't know for sure with your board.
If the diagnostic screens flash too fast to see the prompt just hold down the Ctrl key when POST starts and repeatedly press the I key until you enter RAID BIOS. That works for me with my Gigabyte board, it should work for you too.

lawrencendlw

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010

What color are the Intel ports and which ones are the marvel ones? This board has 4 Sata 3 ports right?