How to get data off a broken lacie external drive

regsmith

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hello,
can any one help me the data port on my externald dive is wobbely and i cant get my ext drive to load info on to pc - the hard drive is power up and running but cant get data, any one know who can get this info off PLEASE

Pete66

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009

In most circumstances (assuming that you no longer care about the warranty), the thing to do would be to open the case and then connect the drive that's inside (almost certainly a standard internal hard drive of some type) to your computer. Depending on the drive type and your computer, you could either connect it internally or buy an inexpensive external enclosure that's compatible with both the drive type and the connections available on your computer.

Apparently, however, some LaCie drives are not simple to open. I haven't had to deal with this, but you're not alone. Read some of the info here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=open+lacie+external+drive

mclovin31

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
I had the same issue with a broken LaCie NAS device. I removed the drive from the case and mounted it to a windows 8 machine using usb. Of course the OS did not see the drive although disk manager listed it. The solution is: UFS Explorer Professional Recovery. The software found all my data and it only took minutes.