Mount hard drive in floppy drive slot?

qwoz

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Hey so im looking to upgrade my 4870 to a 5870 and the only way to fit it in my case is going to be removing the hard drive cage. This isn't too much of an issue because I have one hard drive. Is there a way to mount my internal HDD into the Floppy drive cage? More specifically, Is there any hardware i can buy to make it fit snug. I would prefer doing something permanent rather than zip tie it in. Thanks.

-Qwoz

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Well I mean the floppy is still a 3.5 slot, you should be able to just screw it in. I did this once but I didn't bother with screws. (since it was temporary)

As an alternative if this isn't possible would be to buy 3.5 to 5.25 brackets and simply mounting it in one of your extra optical drive bays. I did this for heat separation once.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Standard 3½" floppy drives are the same size as standard HDD units, even down to the location of the threaded mounting holes, so they fit. Now, if you are trying to mount a 3½" HDD into a wider 5¼" slot normally used for optical drives these days (but originally used for an older floppy design), that's another story. You used to be able to get a set of adapter rails to mount a 3½" device like a floppy drive into a 5¼" slot. In the case of doing this for a HDD, it's even easier because you don't have to adapt a front cover plate to allow access to the slot of a floppy drive. Just leave the original front cover in place, because you don't need access to a HDD. The adapter rails I used before looked like a pair of simple U-shaped pieces of channel with holes in the right places. You could screw them onto the sides of your 3½" HDD, and then slide the whole assembly into the 5¼" slot and put the right screws into the adapter's holes to fasten it in.