Sign in with
Your question

HDD Clicking

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 20, 2012 10:32:09 PM

So I started UTORRENT and each of the files that are in utorrent are being downloaded to one of my hard drives. Utorrent kind of stalled and stopped responding. After this happened one of my hard drives made a clicking noise. Could this be a virus.. or a hard drive going bad... Anyways, I unplugged the HDD and waited for about 30 minutes, plugged it back in and it works now, with no clicking.. What should I do? I am currently scanning my HDD's for Viruses, just in case.. Because today I also went to a website that happened to have a spyware/or something malicious. Not sure what this could be.

More about : hdd clicking

a c 211 G Storage
June 20, 2012 10:41:10 PM

Torrents tend to lead to a virus or two.
m
l
June 20, 2012 10:42:05 PM

Your HDD is going bad so stop using it NOW till you can back up the data. As for when it will fail who knows maybe now, tomorrow, next week, 2 years from now but it will fail better to be safe.
m
l
Related resources
a c 211 G Storage
June 20, 2012 10:44:24 PM

I agree,the hard drive is probably on the way out!
m
l
June 20, 2012 10:52:03 PM

dyslecix said:
So I started UTORRENT and each of the files that are in utorrent are being downloaded to one of my hard drives. Utorrent kind of stalled and stopped responding. After this happened one of my hard drives made a clicking noise. Could this be a virus.. or a hard drive going bad... Anyways, I unplugged the HDD and waited for about 30 minutes, plugged it back in and it works now, with no clicking.. What should I do? I am currently scanning my HDD's for Viruses, just in case.. Because today I also went to a website that happened to have a spyware/or something malicious. Not sure what this could be.

The drive is dying. Replace it soon.
m
l
September 1, 2014 4:12:12 PM

Guys, the hard drive is not on the way out. On 5400 RPM drives, Utorrent sometimes overwhelms the drives ability to move the read head quick enough (especially if you drive has not been defragmented on a regular basis) to get to a section of the disc, thereby leading to that 'clicking' noise and sudden halt in data transfer.
Now, if you were using a hard drive in regular service and it was clicking on a regular basis, that would mean that the drive is dying and you should think about getting a new one.
m
l
a c 336 G Storage
September 1, 2014 4:15:50 PM

Examine the drive's SMART report. Look for reallocated, pending, or uncorrectable sectors.

You could a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo.
m
l
!