Sign in with
Your question

Random PC Feeze - Suspect Motherboard - Alt Ideas?

Last response: in Systems
May 7, 2010 11:38:30 PM

I built my current system about 3 months ago.

AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0

Running Windows 7 64bit - and I leave my pc running 24/7

Couple weeks after I built the system pc froze up, could not alt ctrl del had to manually reset. Obviously got the "PC did not shut down normally" option to boot in safe mode. Went ahead and booted normally ... Windows booted and nothing popped up on the 'Action Center'

Didn't really think anything of it and went about my business... few weeks later I wake up to find my pc once again with the screen frozen. Again had to manually reset. Have it boot up normally, then check logs for errors / problems ect. Nothing ... Check for windows updates ... none at that time ... check for video drivers ... none at that time ...

Again it seems to be fine after reboot so I move on and don't worry about it.

Last weekend!!!

PC froze ... rebooted ... monitor showed no signal, despite me hearing windows boot up. So I suspect Vid card .. .sorta fits with the video freezing previous problem so I swap with a known working video card. Same thing. Couple more reboots and finally get it to pop the screen on and boot .... spend a few minutes in windows and see several windows updates.... start those. Screen freezes while windows updates are running. Since it was "working without the video" during the previous bootups I let it sit for a good 40 mins and finally manually reset ... back to no video....

Motherboard has onboard video ... so I try that.

That works Windows boots, i finish the updates, and also download the newest Nvidia drivers.

Swap back to my video card ... no go.,,, still doing no video ... go back to the onboad video ... now its doing the no video signal thing... try a different monitor, different DVI cable. for shits and giggles I try using the onboard VGA and a VGA cable NO DAMN GO!

Finally decide to try resetting the bios. Check the web and also find theres a bios update released just a couple weeks ago... suuuure why not ...

Manage after several reboots to get the onboard video to work, (LUCKY) and get the BIOS updated.

This SEEMS to fix it ... all week this week its been fine. No freezes. I even played WoW for several hours LAST NIGHT.

Tonight. Started doing the freezing again ... first during WoW. Rebooted. Check the diagnostics ... ect and it freezes in about 10 minutes ... Try rebooting again ... Freezes during the pretty windows logo boot up screen ....

So I am at a loss as to what this might be. I am leaning towards motherboard but I don't have a spare to swap., so before I go through a painful RMA process I want to make sure I have explored all avenues

Doesn't seem to be an overheating problem MB / CPU / Graphics are all running cool. Nothing overclocked.

Any suggestions?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 7, 2010 11:42:03 PM

Try running Memtest86 on each stick of RAM to check if it's your memory.

Speaking of memory, do you have the voltage and timings set correctly in the BIOS?
m
l
May 8, 2010 12:08:11 AM

Timings and voltages are good. Also both mem sticks pass memtest in another motherboard ... tried that last weekend... forgot to add.

m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 234 V Motherboard
May 8, 2010 12:09:36 AM

You left out a very important component from your list that could cause that issue. What PSU do you have?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2010 12:36:36 AM

It can be hard to fix intermittent faults like this but the top suspects are faulty ram or a faulty power supply. Run memtest86 to check the memory and try another power supply.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 234 V Motherboard
May 8, 2010 12:52:00 AM

Have you tried a different PSU manufactured by a top tier company?
m
l
May 8, 2010 12:55:42 AM

I've used a couple Rosewill PSU's and not had any problems but I do have a Antec 600 I can pop in.

Back to the memory ideas - interesting thing just happened. Pulled out one of the sticks, leaving the one in the 1st dimm in, and booted, got the no video problem!!! So power down, and tried moving the same stick over to the second dimm slot. Booted and running mem test now ... so far so good. Think it may be a dimm slot issue rather than a the stick?

Edit: Both sticks passed memtest using second dimm slot which is channel b on the motherboard. popping both into channel b slots and seeing what happens
m
l
May 8, 2010 2:44:09 AM

Currently system is up and running using both sticks in the Channel B dimms on the MB ...

Both sticks passed memtest

At this point I have not swapped out the Power Supply. With the added info of 'possible' issues using the channel a / slot 1 dimm slot. I don't know if that gives weight to my thought that its the MB or that its still possible its the power supply ...

Further reading in the MB manual did point out that my SPECIFIC sticks of A-Data memory is not supported on the motherboard, other brands with the same voltage / latency / timing ARE supported. I have never once had a problem using a brand of memory not listed specifically, as long as it was the correct type/voltage/timing ect for the motherboard. Anyone think its possible these problems are caused by unsupported memory?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 234 V Motherboard
May 8, 2010 3:08:29 AM

Quote:
Anyone think its possible these problems are caused by unsupported memory?
Most likely not. That type of issue often is caused by the motherboard or the PSU. I had a video card cause system hangs on one of my systems when kids were playing games, but since you had issues even when using onboard video, that rules out the video card.
m
l
!