Restart issue with 2 year old computer

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Games
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 7, 2010 11:52:24 PM

I've had my computer for about 2 years and about six months ago it started rebooting every time I would play a game, hence why I haven't played a game since then :( . What happens is that whenever I play a game, the computer will shut off anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes after I start playing and trying to restart will result in it shutting off before I get to the login screen for the next 4 to 5 minutes. Another weird thing is that even if I only play a game for just a minute and then shut down the game, the computer will automatically shut off before the game exits out to Windows.

I have thoroughly cleaned the dust out from the computer (with the exception of the cpu cooler, as I would have to reseat the CPU and I don't have thermal paste on hand. Here is a copy of my temperatures after playing a game for about 5 minutes:

Hardware monitor ACPI
Temperature 0 40°C (103°F) [0xC3C] (THRM)

Hardware monitor AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Temperature 0 62°C (143°F) [0x6F] (Core #0)
Temperature 1 64°C (147°F) [0x71] (Core #1)

Hardware monitor ATI Radeon HD 3850
Temperature 0 67°C (152°F) (GPU Core)

Hardware monitor ST3250410AS
Temperature 0 40°C (103°F) [0x28] (Assembly)
Temperature 2 40°C (103°F) [0x28] (Air Flow)

I've used memtest86 and seagate tools so I know the ram and HD are fine. I've also used a PSU tester and it came back fine so I don't think it is the PSU. I'm thinking it might be that the video card is dying, does anyone have any other suggestions of things I can do to try and narrow down the problem?

Thank you!

More about : restart issue year computer

a b B Homebuilt system
May 8, 2010 12:06:27 AM

It sounds like you've narrowed it down good. I'd try to stress each component (Furmark for GPU, P95 for CPU) individually and see if you can pinpoint which one is causing it. Keep an eye on those GPU temps though, furmark seems to blast GPU's.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 8, 2010 12:39:15 AM

What's your case? 64C seems pretty high for a CPU to me.
m
l
Related resources
May 8, 2010 2:00:12 AM

It's a cooler master 690. It has 3 120 mm fans, one front, one rear, and one side.

My specs are as follows:

Antec True Power 650 W PSU, Cooler Master 690 case, Athlon X2 6000, ATI HD 3850 video card, 2 GB ram (I don't remember which brand off the top of my head).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 8, 2010 2:19:07 AM

Well that's one entire fan more than mine and one of them is bigger than mine.

I'm not sure why it would be that high. Unless whatever you're using is giving you wrong temps. The AMD overdrive program will be accurate.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 8, 2010 2:04:09 PM

I think your CPU is overheating. Some motherboards have a setting in the bios that will shut the CPU when it reaches a certain temp. You said you did not clean dust from the cpu cooler, and those temps seem high. Just curious, why didn't you clean the cpu cooler? You should be able to take compressed air that you buy in a can and blow it out.
m
l
May 8, 2010 2:39:10 PM

yeah u dont really usually need to remove the cooler to clean it out. however, i would say get some arctic silver 5 and reseat the cooler.
m
l
May 8, 2010 2:41:41 PM

I did use a can of compressed air to blow out the cooler. What I meant is that I didn't take the cooler all the way off and clean it out and then reattach it because I don't have any thermal paste on hand. I think I am going to order some thermal paste and try cleaning out the cooler for the CPU and reseating the heat sink to see if that has any effect.

I've actually used a couple of different monitoring programs and they all give CPU temps around the same values so I think the 64 C is probably accurate.
m
l
May 8, 2010 2:54:35 PM

yeah thats what we meant, just getting the dust out. thats the typical way to "clean out" a cpu cooler.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 8, 2010 9:33:52 PM

When you reseat the heatsink, only use a drop. Don't slather it on there. Otherwise you can actually insulate the cpu and cause more heat.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 8, 2010 10:55:27 PM

Quote:
Well that's one entire fan more than mine and one of them is bigger than mine.

I'm not sure why it would be that high. Unless whatever you're using is giving you wrong temps. The AMD overdrive program will be accurate. UnQuote

Not being funny Dmitry, But after I used Acc to unlock my core, Amd O/D says my temps are -256 on all four cores, I have also read a lot of other similar posts to that effect so Maybe trying several temp progs is a reasonable idea?
I
m
l
!