Sign in with
Your question

Looking to upgrade to an I5

Last response: in Systems
May 8, 2010 12:17:15 AM

My first build is almost 2 years old now and I'd like to upgrade the Core 2 Duo 7200 to an I5, along with the appropriate MOBO and memory of course. The purpose of the build remains gaming, and I never plan to utilize SLI or Crossfire. I also have a relatively cheap budget- I'd like to keep things under 350$ if possible. I was originally set on a MOBO with Sata 6GB and USB 3.0 but the expense and lack of current need has kind of changed my mind at this point. Not to mention there seem to be PCI cards that allow for this in the future.

Anyway could anyone suggest the cheapest or the most cost effective MOBO and memory combination for what I'm after?

Im using an Antec 300 Case with an OCZ 700w Power supply and an HIS Radeon 4870 GPU. This is the processor I'm after-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for any help.

More about : upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
May 8, 2010 12:24:19 AM

Welcome to the forum. See the Build Advice form in my signature and we'll be glad to help you.
Related resources
May 8, 2010 9:29:43 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: WIthin the month. 350-400$.
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (Specifically Starcraft 2), Net
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Everything but the mobo, cpu, and appropriate RAM
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: The cheapest. Im only familiar with newegg but bargains are bargains.

PARTS PREFERENCES: First build was a Gigabyte Mobo so used to them
OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, Will never bother with Xfire or SLI

MONITOR RESOLUTION:1920x1080

However, your suggestions already look like my best options.

EDIT: Can any price drops on newer processors or accompanying RAM be expected anytime soon? Id be willing to wait if they were, but know they usually only accompany new hardware releases.
!