Sign in with
Your question

Building a gaming PC - SSD Question

Last response: in Storage
June 21, 2012 1:01:46 AM

Hi everybody, new here!

I'm building a PC, mainly for gaming – though I will also be using it to surf the web, watch stuff, listen to music, download and read etc.

I am a tab addict and usually have 20+ tabs open at a time in firefox, along with playing games at the same time using skype, msn, media players etc.

I do not do any programming or graphic design or anything at all

I am also not interested in playing a game/watching a movie across two screens at all, but I am interested in using one screen for gaming, one for chatting and/or playing a movie etc. I don't have any interest in having more than two screens.

The games I mainly play are RTS and RPGs, stuff like Dota 2, HoN, Diablo 3 and SC2 etc. nothing exactly super graphic intensive but I do play the occasional FPS here and there, though nothing competitive at all. I would also like to play the new Borderlands... probably maxed out.

Okay so now that's out of the way about what I am looking for got some quick questions before I start to get parts for the PC – which I'll probably make a thread about later :|

So onto SSD's..

Is it even worth it for me? I read that SSD's have shitty lifetimes because of their write cycles or something is this true? I don't want to buy one to install my games and windows on it just to have it die later on? I use skype alot etc and it keeps logs as well as some of my other programs won't this affect the write cycles?

Would i just put my boot apps games on it or just my boot and games etc. on a seperate hdd? Or is it better for me to buy a standard hdd and put boot etc. on there?

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply :]
a c 523 G Storage
June 21, 2012 2:02:35 AM

superchank said:
I read that SSD's have shitty lifetimes because of their write cycles or something is this true?

No, that’s no longer true. Current generation SSDs have better Wear Leveling routines in their firmware than 1st generation SSD’s. A drive bought today will last probably 7-10 years with normal/average use.

However, if you’re torrenting files all day every day then a SSD might not be for you. :) 

Would i just put my boot apps games on it or just my boot and games etc. on a seperate hdd? Or is it better for me to buy a standard hdd and put boot etc. on there? said:
Would i just put my boot apps games on it or just my boot and games etc. on a seperate hdd? Or is it better for me to buy a standard hdd and put boot etc. on there?

That depends on the size of your drive. If you get a 60GB drive then you should put just your O/S, most frequently used apps, and 1 or 2 games on it.

If you get a drive 120GB or larger then you can put your O/S, all of your apps, and most frequently used games on it; and also have a HDD to move your games to once you’ve gotten tired of playing them.
m
l
June 21, 2012 3:11:58 AM

Dereck47 said:
No, that’s no longer true. Current generation SSDs have better Wear Leveling routines in their firmware than 1st generation SSD’s. A drive bought today will last probably 7-10 years with normal/average use.

However, if you’re torrenting files all day every day then a SSD might not be for you. :) 

That depends on the size of your drive. If you get a 60GB drive then you should put just your O/S, most frequently used apps, and 1 or 2 games on it.

If you get a drive 120GB or larger then you can put your O/S, all of your apps, and most frequently used games on it; and also have a HDD to move your games to once you’ve gotten tired of playing them.

Thanks for the reply :) 

Well I do torrent/use newsgroups quite often... few times a week? but if I just save them/download onto my storage drive will this be a problem?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 21, 2012 3:22:43 AM

It's not a problem if you have a HDD as a storage.

+1 Dereck, for noting that SSD's have better wear leveling at this time compared to past generation of SSD's.
m
l
a c 523 G Storage
June 21, 2012 3:29:38 AM

superchank said:
Well I do torrent/use newsgroups quite often... few times a week?

That's ok. You shouldn't have any problems.
m
l
June 21, 2012 4:52:25 AM

superchank said:
Hi everybody, new here!

I'm building a PC, mainly for gaming – though I will also be using it to surf the web, watch stuff, listen to music, download and read etc.

I am a tab addict and usually have 20+ tabs open at a time in firefox, along with playing games at the same time using skype, msn, media players etc.

I do not do any programming or graphic design or anything at all

I am also not interested in playing a game/watching a movie across two screens at all, but I am interested in using one screen for gaming, one for chatting and/or playing a movie etc. I don't have any interest in having more than two screens.

The games I mainly play are RTS and RPGs, stuff like Dota 2, HoN, Diablo 3 and SC2 etc. nothing exactly super graphic intensive but I do play the occasional FPS here and there, though nothing competitive at all. I would also like to play the new Borderlands... probably maxed out.

Okay so now that's out of the way about what I am looking for got some quick questions before I start to get parts for the PC – which I'll probably make a thread about later :|

So onto SSD's..

Is it even worth it for me? I read that SSD's have shitty lifetimes because of their write cycles or something is this true? I don't want to buy one to install my games and windows on it just to have it die later on? I use skype alot etc and it keeps logs as well as some of my other programs won't this affect the write cycles?
An SSD is an all around better choice if you have the money... you should not be worrying about the life time of the SSD because the SSD will out live the HDD in most cases.

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply :]

m
l
June 21, 2012 4:53:43 AM

An SSD is an all around better choice if you have the money... you should not be worrying about the life time of the SSD because the SSD will out live the HDD in most cases.
m
l
!