Suggestions for this build, I don't know much about custom machines

XKageOokamiX

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Hi guys. I'm new to the whole custom machine thing other than what little research I've done to do my best in using what I think are the right components. I would like some suggestions or feedback on this build. My budget is give or take 1500. If there are any variations that someone would suggest I would still at least like to keep the i5-750 and the Radeon HD 5750. If it were cars I could talk about that, but computers are over my head right now. Your answers are appreciated thanks for the help.

-No O.C
-TX-2 compound will be used
-INTEL, Core i5-750 Quad-Core 2.66GHz, LGA1156, 4.8 GT/s, 8MB L3 Cache, 45nm, 95W, EM64T EIST VT XD
-Thermaltake SpinQ CPU Cooling Fan Socket Socket 1156
-ASUS P7P55D-E Pro, LGA1156, Intel P55, DDR3-2220 16GB/4, PCIex16 SLI CF/2, SATA3 Gb/s RAID 5/7, 6Gb/s/2, USB 3.0/2,GbLAN
-KINGSTON, 4GB (2x2GB) ValueRAM PC3-10600 DDR3 1333MHz CL9 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
-XFX, Radeon HD 5750 700MHz, 1GB GDDR5 4600MHz, PCIe x16 CrossFire, DVI /2, DP, HDMI
-CREATIVE, Sound Blaster Audigy SE, 7.1ch, 24-bit, 96KHz, PCI
-WD 500GB Caviar SE16, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200-RPM, 16MB Cache
-PLEXTOR, PX-880SA Black 24xx DVD Dual Layer Burner / Lightscribe, SATA
-NZXT, Guardian 921 Black Mid-Tower Case, ATX, No PSU
-Cooler Master, GX 750W, 80Plus, 750W Power Supply, ATX12V 2.31 EPS12v, 2x 8/6-pin PCIe, SLI Certified

Solution

There is a review section that has reviews on some hardware and applications. However, you would probably find the charts the most useful. They compare a range of different hardware using a specific application, and you can see which performs the best.
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/

xaira

Distinguished
evrything looks good, few things though

1.psu is knid of overkill, you can go cheaper or higher quality at lower watt,

2.you can upgrade to a 5770 for not much more

3. its a breath of fresh air to see someone choosing valuram @ 1.5v, the way ddr3 should be done

good luck

XKageOokamiX

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
I thought so. Any suggestions on what I should downgrade/upgrade to? I was thinking about the 5770, but is that "small" upgrade noticeable? I did some research for a week to make sure the quality of the mobo was good (ASUS kept coming up) so i wasn't sure if going as far as Pro was good enough. Thanks for the input :)

XKageOokamiX

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Good to know. I wasn't sure about the sound card, but I added it in there in case of a future upgrade. Any suggestions though?

I was just wondering about the optical drive. It's hard getting some solid reviews because it seems like everyone has their own opinion on it which makes selecting one confusing for me. Thanks for posting up an answer before I could ask another :)

How is the Samsung faster, don't they have the same specifications? Or is it just a company quality thing? It seemed WD was the choice for some people.

Appreciate all the suggestions I've never learned so much from one site :D

That particular Samsung is faster because it was made with larger and more dense platters. Even though they spin at the same speed, the data is accessible quicker.

Optical drives can be hit and miss. You will find lots of varying opinions, because it's usually on personal preference. In my opinion, Plextor just isn't worth the cost. There are lots of other models in the low to mid $20 range.

XKageOokamiX

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

I see. It's good to know the details behind the specifications. Other than forum digging on this site is there another way to look up fine details on hard drives and such? I would have never known. And hopefully since I came here this drive won't be a hit and miss. Complete 180 from the horribad laptop I have :/ having a desktop I hope will be refreshing :). Can't go wrong with fine details like that thanks a lot.

There is a review section that has reviews on some hardware and applications. However, you would probably find the charts the most useful. They compare a range of different hardware using a specific application, and you can see which performs the best.
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/

Solution