Sign in with
Your question

Mobo wars and failure

Last response: in Motherboards
January 23, 2011 1:07:36 AM

I am currently researching a first time desktop system build with high end graphics as the main system function. I am looking at mobo selections, and also between the cost advantage of the Phenom II 1100t CPU verses the I7 980X Extreme; I am light on understanding which one is the better choice for longevity. We all know the cost answer is AMD Phenom. However when I start looking at mobo's for these at the cutting edge ATX level there are a lot of either misunderstood set up boot issues that people dont understand yet. Or there are bugaboo's; that are needing to be debugged over time, for these top end boards to work great with either of these high end CPU's. Would I be better off going with tried and true boards that are two years into debugging. Or are the new boards that have 2 or 4 PCI Express16x slots that can knock out SLI the way to boldly go? I would be good for a time with the graphics capabilities of the newest boards. I have been blogging, forum reading and interneting and will continue to do so. But if anyone really has the feel of the newest of the new; and how close you can get to new without having no boot/& failure issues I would appreciate it greatly.
The test mark numbers are so strong on the newest ATX boards, 67, Crosshair IV Formula, P67A-UD7, 890FXA-GD70, X58UD9, X58 Extreme ETC, but forums show alot of boot issues and the need to RMA alot. Any wise help out here?

More about : mobo wars failure

a c 304 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1152 V Motherboard
January 23, 2011 3:02:03 AM

Building today the Sandy Bridge either I5 2500K or I7 2600K on a P67 board should be given serious consideration. The only thing that is beating them performance wise is LGA1366 build with a $1000 I7 980X CPU.
m
l
January 23, 2011 3:43:55 PM

Thanks for you're input on this difficult decision rolli59! Am I to understand that you favor intel cpu over amd and if so what are you're learned pros and cons of why! I am very concerned about longevity issues. Electronics can last a good number of years if the highest quality component mateials and technology are used. I am not one who wants to contribute to the stack of desktop hazardous waste that can go from earth to the moon and back a couple of times thus far! I am interested in building a system that isn't disposable due to being obsolete in only two years time. I am shooting for 5 to 8 years of a usable system by standing on newest tech available. What board manufacturers use the top grade board material out of the three grades?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 304 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1152 V Motherboard
January 23, 2011 3:58:57 PM

ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA and MSI are the top manufacturers of motherboards (apart from server market) The I7 2600K is the fastest AFFORDABLE desktop CPU to date. For longevity Intel's performance wins over AMD's budget advantages.
m
l
January 23, 2011 6:25:03 PM

Thank you for you're reply rolli59. I have always been impressed with the physical materials that ASUS used for older P3 P4 boards. Is there any reference for doing comparisons of motherboard manufacturers and the materials they each use; which is the first half of longevity. The second half being the manufacturing techniques and processes applied to create a final product? And thanks for you're views and feedback replies for my learning curve.
m
l
!