Status
Not open for further replies.

reely989

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Hey guys, I built my first computer a while back, and didn't do enough psu research and ended up getting a Raidmax Aurora 2 700w PSU. I've since heard a lot of bad things about this company, but this psu has been chugging on for about a year now. Does anyone have any experience with this model, and if so, would it be a good idea to upgrade? I've heard some bad stories about raidmax ruining computers, and I'm thinking about upgrading to a 1366 motherboard and an i7 930, and wouldn't really want to risk that.

Solution
Even if someone gave me one, I would not use it. A quality 500W-550W PSU can handle a rig with almost any single GPU. Look for a model with full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and 80+ certification. Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, and Enermax are among the better brands. If you're not a gamer, and your video card is something like a HD5570 or HD4670, a 380W Antec Earthwatts is all you need.
Even if someone gave me one, I would not use it. A quality 500W-550W PSU can handle a rig with almost any single GPU. Look for a model with full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and 80+ certification. Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, and Enermax are among the better brands. If you're not a gamer, and your video card is something like a HD5570 or HD4670, a 380W Antec Earthwatts is all you need.

Solution

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Yes, I just used a similar unit (with more PCIe connectors) on a dual GTX 470 system and it worked fine (at full overclock and full load). You're looking at a configuration that will probably pull around 350-400W at full load (everything at once) and perhaps as much as 600W overclocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.