Sign in with
Your question

4X or 6X AMD CPU for office???

Last response: in CPUs
July 14, 2010 9:30:22 PM

I have M3A78-T Asus Motherboard with AMD Athlon 64 Duel Core Proc 5000+ 2.61GHz. Kingston HyperX Dual Channel 4096MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz Memory (2x2048MB) Windows Vista 64Bit

The Motherboard can accept the Phenom 4X or 6X Core Processor. Since these are gaming processors and I am NOT a gamer, is it a waste of money to upgrade to faster 4X or 6X processor for multitasking office computer. I run several programs at a time often switching from one to the other. I have noticed when I cut Audio CD and I work on another project while cutting CD, it ofter is corrupted. IF I do not touch any other program while cutting CD from Itunes, it will normally be fine. Sometimes I am printing, writing letter in word, playing poker, cutting audio CD, and surfing net at once.

Would I need more memory? if I upgrade processor?

Or should I stick with processor I have? for home office.

I suppose this could be called multitasking question! :) 

Thank you in advance!

Tony

More about : amd cpu office

a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 14, 2010 9:45:06 PM

I have never heard of a CPU being called a gaming CPU. There are a lot of more CPU intense applications that are not related to gaming.

But, The Athlon IIx4 should be more than enough for you. I have one myself, and I use it for gaming, lol.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Would I need more memory? if I upgrade processor?
I don't see how changing your CPU relates to memory usage so, if your memory usage is fine now, then no, you won't need to upgrade your ram.

when I cut Audio CD and I work on another project while cutting CD, it ofter is corrupted.
Upgrading your CPU will not change this problem, unless your current CPU has stability problems, which is very unlikely unless you have overclocked it or overvolted it. Stability can be checked with linx.

Or should I stick with processor I have? for home office.
Only you know if your system seems slow or not. You haven't complained about it being slow though, so why do you want to upgrade? What is your CPU usage when you are doing your most intensive multi-tasking?

playing poker
Is this a flash or java online game?

cutting audio CD
Do you mean to say ripping an audio CD? Do you use Windows Media Player?

I work on another project while cutting CD, it ofter is corrupted.
What "other project"?

IF I do not touch any other program while cutting CD from Itunes
There's your problem! itunes!
I joke, but seriously, I would try ripping with another program to see if you run into the same problems.
If I were you, I would also post a question in the appropriate forum about your problem, before jumping to conclusions and assuming your CPU is unstable and you need a new one.
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 14, 2010 11:24:13 PM

Phenom II X6 is actually the opposite of a gamer cpu, it's got horrible price/performance for gaming because the extra cores aren't used. lol

I agree that an Athlon II X4 should actually be plenty for your needs, there is little performance difference between it and the Phenom II X4 in most tasks.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2010 1:30:55 AM

I agree with Enzo. Try something else besides Itunes to see if it's something else. I mean, I do about everything you do, and I use Media Player to do most of my ripping. I never had a problem with a CD at all, and I'm running a Pentium E2200.
a c 147 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 15, 2010 2:37:19 AM

By cutting a cd he means burning one. I would assume your burner has some buffer underrun protection, if not buy a new burner, so then the problem would lie more with the flow of data.

If your cd drive is IDE, make sure it hasn't dropped out of DMA mode and down to PIO. I would think you would notice a much longer burn time if this were the case.

Make sure your hardrive does not share a IDE cable with anything if its IDE that is. Add a second HDD to use as a scratch/work/temp files disk or setup a raid if you feel like reinstalling vista.

July 15, 2010 3:43:45 AM

Most games use only 1,2 or 3 processor cores. The AMD X4's could be called "gaming processors", but the X6's are definitely not gaming processors. Most of the cores do nothing during games, and higher-clocked (or similar-clocked) quad-core processors are faster in gaming. The 6-core processors are much better suited to heavy multitasking use in a business or home office environment.

I would get the 1055T, that should suit your purpose perfectly.
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2010 4:04:52 AM

I would agree that a 6 core processor would be better suited for office or design use than gaming, but that doesn't mean it's not a gaming processor to speak. It will game as well as any other Phenom processor running the same mhz. What it is, is wasteful for gaming, as it has more cores than most games can ever use, right now.
But that is what they said about quad cores a year ago.....and I would never go back to a dual core after owning a quad, just ain't happening. Processors really should not be labeled as one thing or another, you just simply pick what you believe is a good value and power match for your needs. Some peoples perspective of "value" is way different than others though. I believe that a $200 6 core processor is an outstandingly tremendous value no what you are doing on your PC. I see no reason not to get one, even if you mostly game. But I am sure other folks will have a different opinion.
a c 755 à CPUs
a c 139 À AMD
July 15, 2010 4:17:12 AM

If you do not plan to upgrade for quite some time, get the x6. If you plan on upgrading withing a year or two, get the X4.
!