Sign in with
Your question

Replacing thermal paste on a 5850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 9, 2010 2:26:02 PM

Has anyone tried replacing the thermal paste on a 5850 to try to lower OC temps?
Has it been effective? What's the process to get at the heatsink?
April 9, 2010 2:38:14 PM

i replaced on my 4870 and it lowered temps by about 25c lol, it was over 100c at load with old thermal paste and about 80 with new. just screw off those screws at the back of the card, those 4 screws in a square is holding the heatsink against the gpu and those other screws holds the cooler and its body on its place. then take off the cooler and clean off the old thermalpaste and then put a TINY amount new thermalpaste in the middle of the gpu, then push the heatsink against it and twist a little bit so the thermalpaste spreads. then screw those 4 screws that holds the heatsink against the gpu on their place and then the rest screws. tighten those 4 screws in a square pretty hard :)  sorry for my bad english and explaining :D  i hope you understood a bit atleast :D 
April 9, 2010 2:44:46 PM

I've done this in the past with cards and has only been effective if the card is a little old and the paste is dried out. I've had cards drop 2-5C already.

I have a 5870 that had some issues, artifacts. I replaced the thermal paste with really good stuff, MASSCOOL G751 Shin-Etsu. It made absolutely no difference. I assume the 5850 stock paste is the same as the 5870. So it is pretty decent stuff. The only advantage you would see is if it wasn't installed properly from the factory. But as far as the performance of the paste that it comes with, it is very good.
Related resources
April 9, 2010 2:48:07 PM

Thanks for the replies. I guess my real question had to do with the quality of the stock paste. If it's good stuff then I may not replace. I don't have a problem with heat now, but was really just wondering if it would give me any temp drop at all.

Would the paste be any different depending on brand (ASUS, Sapphire, etc.), or only for non-reference cards?
April 9, 2010 2:56:37 PM

creamsoda said:
Thanks for the replies. I guess my real question had to do with the quality of the stock paste. If it's good stuff then I may not replace. I don't have a problem with heat now, but was really just wondering if it would give me any temp drop at all.

Would the paste be any different depending on brand (ASUS, Sapphire, etc.), or only for non-reference cards?

If they use the reference cooler, I wouldn't think so. If they have their own cooler they may use something else. However, I would hope they would use something equal to or better than the stock paste.

The 5800 cards have a really low fan profile. You can always ramp up the fan a little bit when it heats up. I usually do this with all my cards. The MSI Afterburner utility is really the app to get for the 5000 series cards. It works on any brand.
April 9, 2010 3:12:05 PM

Im using Afterburner to OC the card. I'm at 925/1200/1.162v with a custom fan profile. My temps are fine, but the fan is pretty loud. Case has good airflow, etc. I'm just looking for ways to keep the card cooler (without adding an aftermarket cooler) so I can keep the fan lower. I am adding a 120mm side case fan this weekend (pointed right at the GPU) to try to get the temps lower also.
!