anonymousdude

Distinguished
First off here are my system specs

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (Windsor)
4gb ddr2 corsair
GA-M57SLI-S4
sli 8800gt
750 watt PCP&C Silencer

Would it be worth it to upgrade to a athlon II X4 635 or Phenom II 555?

Reason I'm asking is that microcenter is having a deal where you get a free biostar 780L(760g chipset) board, which I plan to just use with the 5600+ to just do web browsing and general stuff.

Also would compatibility be an issue with the 780l? I took a look at the supported CPU list, but it seems to have some incorrect information and I don't know whether to trust it or not. The 5600+ windsor is not on there, but the 5600+ brisbane is. Almost every other windsor is supported as well as its brisbane counterpart.

Anyways thanks in advance for the replies and thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Solution
I found the 5600+ Windsor in the list, your probably skimmed past it on accident. The Athlon II and Phenom II models your looking at are also on the list so they should work just fine once you update your BIOS.

I personally would grab the Athlon II X4, it'll be a larger upgrade in most tasks, although you didn't say what you plan to use the computer for.

loneninja

Distinguished
I found the 5600+ Windsor in the list, your probably skimmed past it on accident. The Athlon II and Phenom II models your looking at are also on the list so they should work just fine once you update your BIOS.

I personally would grab the Athlon II X4, it'll be a larger upgrade in most tasks, although you didn't say what you plan to use the computer for.

Solution