Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive suddenly not detected in BIOS, "Operation system not found"

Last response: in Storage
June 21, 2012 11:59:34 AM

Hello, i'm new to tom's hardware, and i hope the community will kindly help to solve my current problem ^_^.

Before i go on any further, i'd like to point out that i am no computer "genius", i am merely a beginner.
Yes, there are many people with this problem, and yes, i have searched on google and have read countless of threads in forums. Alas, none of the threads i've read helped me with this problem, even if it's similar to theirs. Since i'm a beginner as stated before, most of the time when reading i do not understand what they're saying, it seems a bit complicated to me.

Anyways, straight to the point. About 2 days ago i was on my bed, nothing unusual, surfing YouTube like anyone else would do. Then, all of a sudden, everything started to freeze. Since it was about 12am and i was tired, i simply ignored it and proceeded to turn my laptop off (holding the power button) then went to sleep. The next day when i turned on my laptop, an error would come up saying "Operation System not found".

My laptop is a Sony Vaio, windows 7, i5, 4gb ram, and a 500gb HDD (There are 2 HDDs which adds up to 500gb, i don't know the manufacturer. I've recently had my old HDD replaced so these 2 HDDs are pretty new, about 3-4 months old. I wouldn't expect it to be broken.

Before researching this problem i didn't even know what "BIOS" was, shows how much of a newbie i am. After quickly learning it, many people suggested to boot from a windows repair disc. After making the windows repair disc, i opened BIOS, and the first thing i noticed on "main" was next to the Hard disk section, it said "none", so i concluded that BIOS could not detect my HDD. Anyways, i continued to boot from the windows repair disc, but it couldn't even load. After "Windows is loading files" part, it would go to the basic green loading bar with "Microsoft corporation" underneath it, and it would just keep loading forever non-stop, even after waiting for a good 20 minutes. So using a Windows repair disc doesn't work and i'm running out of options. Any suggestions?

Thank you for taking your time to read this and i know it's long, but bear with me.
a b G Storage
June 21, 2012 12:13:18 PM

Who replaced the hard drives? It's a hard drive problem you should still be under warranty. did you replace the drives yourself? if not go to that person for support.
!