Network works to other computer but not internet.

wjbzone

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Added a (XP Pro Sp3) computer to small (4) computer network via cable.
I can access the other computers shared folders, but not the modem (or internet).

All other computers can access internet via Netopia DSL modem on the network.

If I manually assign the IP address, I can exchange files with the other computers on the network. I can ping the other computers, but not the modem.

I cannot get added computer to Obtain IP /DNS server address automatically:
(After setting to auto, ipconfig/release - renew results in message:
unable to contact DHCP server. Request timed out.)

Have tried several different network cards in different slots.
Have run a working cable directly to modem.
Device manager shows only one network adapter. (no question mark)
Network Card has solid green light and flashing amber light.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Is the Netopia DSL modem also a router, or are you using a separate router (make/model plz). Are ALL the computers connected identically (same router, same modem, same switch, etc.). I just want to be sure there isn't something different about the way this troublesome computer is connected physically vs. all the rest.

wjbzone

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
It is a Netopia model 3347-02 (provided by ATT). When I log onto its homepage its called a router. I am not using a separate router. No switch.

All computers are connected identically. (using several hubs for plotters/printers)
I have tried a connection that I know works on the new computer.

Use ipconfig in a command window and see what it reports. Does it should the Default Gateway to be the Netopia's (router’s) IP address (it should).

And by extension, if you're configuring the client manually (let’s assume DHCP is a problem for some unknown reason), you must include the Gateway IP as well (IP of the machine, netmask, gateway ip, and dns server(s), all of them).

wjbzone

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Ipconfig/all with it set to auto:
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : WJB107
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI For Com
plete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-02-C1-8A-D5
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.188.75
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.188.75
(above auto settings do not allow connection to anything)

Ipconfig/all with it set manually:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : WJB107
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI For Com
plete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-02-C1-8A-D5
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.58
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
(above manual settings allow connection to other computers)

When set to auto, the 169.254.x.x address definitely confirms there is no DHCP response, so it assigns itself an IP address in the 169.254.x.x range (completely useless).

When you configure manually, I see you have 192.168.1.254 as your Gateway IP. I assume when you login into the Netopia router/modem, that's the IP address you use? If so, then everything appears normal.

Can you PING an explicit IP address on the Internet? For example, try pinging 72.14.204.104 (www.google.com). If that works, then it’s probably just a DNS issue. Right now you’re using the router as your DNS server (probably just as a relay), but you could manually configure DNS servers from say OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) and see if that helps. Again, that assumes the PING to an explicit IP works but not when you PING by name.

Hmm, this is proving to be a tough one. I feel like there's some missing piece of information here, because everything to this point sounds right.

You mentioned in your opening post "Have run a working cable directly to modem." I assume you mean the connection FAILED w/ a known good cable. If this Netopia is a COMBINED router+modem, then how could you have connected the PC directly to the modem? That's not possible. The modem is integrated into the router, so you have no choice but to pass through the router to gain access to the modem.

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
If you try telnetting to google (74.125.65.105) what error do you get?

telnet 74.125.65.105 80

Connection Reset means you're actively getting blocked

Connection Timed out means it's either getting blocked (as a drop, no rst packet), routing problem, or the host is down.

If you can narrow it down it may help, but my money is on the config of the router, assuming you've already reviewed the gw and subnet mask info from the other hosts on the network and configured it correctly.

wjbzone

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
eibgrad,
I called it a modem. I guess the Netopia is a combined router+modem. The cable I ran to it just bypassed the hub and went directly to the Netopia. That connection failed the same as going through the hub.

Brian,
telnet 74.125.65.105 80 ...Could not open connection to host, on port 80. Connection failed.
I set default gateway and subnet mask same as other computers on network that work. Not sure what to put in for Preferred DNS server and Alt DNS server.

Got to go out of town until Thursday.

Appreciate replys so far.

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Argh... hate it when the client gives vague messages. If it comes back fast (less than 2 seconds we'll say) then it's probably reset, otherwise if it takes a while... then it's probably timing out. Either way I'm getting the feeling your issue is with the router. Are you able to view / edit the config on the router? Who set it up originally?

wjbzone

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Grumpy, tried the WinSockXP fix - did not change situation.

Brian. Yes I can connect (share files) and ping other computers on local network when I manually assign IP address, subnet and gateway.

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
wjbzone- I think you're stuck then with a firewall / router problem. You'll need to review the logs there and see how / why it's dropping the traffic. Since you said you can view / edit the config I'd recommend reviewing it first to see if you can make any sense of what they are doing. If you can't just put in a rule to allow <manually set host IP> from any source port to any IP and any destination port... put this at the top of the rule base and see if it helps. If it helps then you know the problem is with the firewall / acl rules there. If it doesn't then you'll need to keep looking. It also maybe a NAT problem or routing problem or subnet config problem on the router itself. Without knowing more about your specific hardware and the logic they used to configure it it's very difficult to pin point the problem. If you need to you can run packet captures on the inside and outside of the router to see if you can tell what's happening to the packets... Example if the router wasn't nat'ing them then you might see the rfc1918 addresses on the external side which clearly won't work.

slapsalmon

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I just had a very similar problem at work. 4 machines into a hub then router. 2 machines swapped locations and suddenly one stopped working. Had the same autoconfig ip as you describe as well as amber flashing NIC light(static ip made no difference for me though). After much scouring of google I found a post telling me to change NIC settings to 10 base T half-duplex and it worked both with dhcp and static. give it a try and see if it works for you.

I'd be gratefull if anyone could explain why this works or why it suddenly needed it and auto didn't work.

Thanks

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
hmm... really no idea why changing speed / duplex would have any affect unless it was a switch issue. Did you ever try power cycling your switch (would force it to clear it's MAC address to switch port associatations, though they should have been updated on a link state change)? You said hub.. but considering those aren't too popular these days I assume you meant switch. If it really was a hub then it's possible that your NIC wasn't doing auto correctly... considering that you need a switch for full duplex on a hub.

slapsalmon

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Fairly sure its a hub. No mention of switch anywhere on it but it does say 12 port hub. I did try power cycling both the router and hub but it didnt change anything. Only thing that made a difference was changing speed and duplex. That was the only setting that worked out of all the choices.

Im no expert but like to think I can find my way round a network but this had me completely baffled. Asked a few people and they also had no idea.

Cheers

wjbzone

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I got the problem solved. I had two hubs chained together. I forgot the upstream hub was there. It worked fine until I added the extra computer on the downstream hub.

I ran the downstream hub directly to the modem/router and looks like everything is working!!!

Thanks for all replys.

RajM

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012

Hi
I am having similar problem like yours. I have sonicwal router with 3 switches. All connected to different ports of sonicwall. I have about 20 computers on the network and all are fine except this one that is not letting me go to internet and fails to ping anything out of the intranet. I can ping all other machines etc. I can RDP into this machine as well. I could use internet till about 6 month ago but not anymore. I tried to change the switch associated with this computer but it remains the same. I gave the network card set on auto IP and have the MAC address of this machine in router associated with a fixed IP address (thats the address I RDP to). I can print documents to a printer. Just that I cant get access to Internet.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
RajM