PlugPlay service won't start

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

I'm using XP Pro on a laptop and I've run into a problem with the plug and
play service not starting. When I go into Services and try to start it I get
the following error: Could not start the Plug and Play service on Local
Computer. Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.
I click on OK and it goes back to the Services screen.
When I go into Properties for the Plug and Play service I get another error
saying: Configuration Manager: The Plug and Play service or another required
service is not available. I click on ok and it opens the properties. In the
properties window the Path to the Executable line is missing and I have no
idea how to fix it.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

"Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm using XP Pro on a laptop and I've run into a problem with the plug and
>play service not starting. When I go into Services and try to start it I get
>the following error: Could not start the Plug and Play service on Local
>Computer. Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.
>I click on OK and it goes back to the Services screen.
>When I go into Properties for the Plug and Play service I get another error
>saying: Configuration Manager: The Plug and Play service or another required
>service is not available. I click on ok and it opens the properties. In the
>properties window the Path to the Executable line is missing and I have no
>idea how to fix it.

Make sure that the SERVICES.EXE exists in the SYSTEM32 subfolder. You
could also run a system fule check with the command
SFC /scannow
Also scan this machine for viruses and other malware.
Ad-aware (http://www.lavasoft.de)
"List of Antivirus Software Vendors"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=49500)

--
(tm)

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

I checked the services.exe file and it is in the proper location. All
spyware has been removed from the computer using Adaware SE and Hijack This.
I ran a scan with the command you gave me, sfc /scannow, and it came back
with no problems.
Plug and play still doesn't work. Any other ideas? I've never seen this
problem before and I'm stumped.

Thanks!

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> "Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm using XP Pro on a laptop and I've run into a problem with the plug and
> >play service not starting. When I go into Services and try to start it I get
> >the following error: Could not start the Plug and Play service on Local
> >Computer. Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.
> >I click on OK and it goes back to the Services screen.
> >When I go into Properties for the Plug and Play service I get another error
> >saying: Configuration Manager: The Plug and Play service or another required
> >service is not available. I click on ok and it opens the properties. In the
> >properties window the Path to the Executable line is missing and I have no
> >idea how to fix it.
>
> Make sure that the SERVICES.EXE exists in the SYSTEM32 subfolder. You
> could also run a system fule check with the command
> SFC /scannow
> Also scan this machine for viruses and other malware.
> Ad-aware (http://www.lavasoft.de)
> "List of Antivirus Software Vendors"
> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=49500)
>
> --
> (tm)

"Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I checked the services.exe file and it is in the proper location. All
>spyware has been removed from the computer using Adaware SE and Hijack This.
>I ran a scan with the command you gave me, sfc /scannow, and it came back
>with no problems.
>Plug and play still doesn't work. Any other ideas? I've never seen this
>problem before and I'm stumped.

You may have to reinstall Windows to solve this problem. See "How to
Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315341) for details.

--
(tm)