evan4244

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Hei guyz....say I am using an ATI 5xxx series gpu and I am using it at 1280*960 native resolution. If I chage my resolution to 1600*xxxx, will my gpu performance get hit?? If so, by what%?? And for 1440*900 to 1600*xxxx by what %??

Thanks for your time.... :)

jbakerlent

Distinguished
I'm a bit confused by your post, but yes the higher the resolution, the more strain put on a GPU. What percentage depends on what your doing. I suggest you check a review from here or over at anandtech to get a better idea.

^+1. Depending on your video card, the faster it is the less of a performance hit, and the greater the memory size/frame buffer and memory type (DDR2, GDDR3 or GDDR5) there will be less of a performance impact on the cards.

Your post is confusing. What monitor are you using? The limiting resolution is dependent on your monitor, not the video card in most cases.
You cannot choose a resolution higher than your monitor will support, but having said that, yes higher resolutions do tax your video card more.
There are more lines of resolution to be rendered. But todays higher end cards with 512meg+ memory normally have plenty of reserve power to handle most standard monitor types, at any resolution, most of the time. The exception is high res gaming of course, but then it's not just the higher resolution by itself, it is the amount of "eye candy" you turn on the game in as well that adds to the workload on the GPU. That is what SLI and Crossfire are for, high res gaming with lots of eye candy tossed in on top.

evan4244

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

If my native resolution is 1600*xxxx (21.5"), can I play games in a higher resolution than that?
Will I face problems playing game in lower resolutions?

Well, you can't play any higher than your native/max resolution of 1600 x 900, because the monitor won't support it. If you play at lower resolutions, there won't be a performance hit, but a performance gain compared to playing at 1600 x 900, as the graphics card has to render less pixels.

However, your monitor is 1600 x 900, which means the ratio is 16:9. Playing older games at resolutions which have aspect ratios different to 16:9, e.g. 4:3 (1280 x 960) for example can cause black bars or distortion of some elements in the game, like the title heading for example.