Multi-Monitors w/multi-GPUs PCIe Config.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Thank You, for your attention,

With regard to a 3 &/or 4 monitor setup for HDV editing in VEGAS.

I just wanted to get this form filled out and to say "hello" in this first OP ...
... My questions are regarding what Win7-64Pro can do (natively) with this setup and also what nVidia drivers can/will do with these cards and standard drivers and also how to configure my PCIe slots (8x8?) to properly sense and balance the bandwidth, etc.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ~ May 5, 2010

BUDGET RANGE: Up to $300(USD) for TWO(2) OpenGL 3.x 1GB GPUs

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Four Monitor HDV Edit Rig

Four Monitor VEGAS PLATINUM HDV Edit Rig: The consumer version of VEGAS can see/use up to 4 processing threads and the system requirements for VEGAS PRO (and Platinum) do not "care" what GPU you have (entirely CPU intensive) ... BUT ...
... This is a "General A/V Content Creation Platform" and I have intention to accumulate various ADOBE (AfterFX) and Boris type "Pro Suite Tools" as Content Project Requirements may dictate (or justify), so I do want OpenGL3x and CUDA and codec accelleration. I am also a "Super Surfer" and a "Mad Cross-Patcher" with multiple Audio Mixers and Video Tuners ... I do expect to drop a Dual HDTV Tuner card into this build, if it will fit.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Older Design (BUT NEW IN BOX) Antec TruePower 2.0 Model TPII-480 (480Watt) With 2x18Amp Rails and combined continuous +12V output of 33Amps.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] us-support

CURRENT GPU: is TWO(2) ZOTAC GT220s (1GB DDR3) OpenGL3.x (quiet)
This is a smaller lower powered card ... SLI NOT SUPPORTED !

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814500128

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: This is an AM3/890GX 955(212-OC) w/(4x2GB)=8GB DDR3-@1600c7 ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813128435

... I AM USING An OLD RAIDMAX MID TOWER case, so I can't really say that longer/longest cards would fit.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (e.g.: newegg.com PARTS .. TIGER)

PREFERENCES: (e.g., if you will only use ATI cards, want PhysX card, prefer

I currently have 2xZotac GT220s in my cart ... assail them if you want to.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes++ (Hyper-212) + RipJaws 2x(2X2GB)=8GB 1600c7

MONITOR RESOLUTION:

Two primary mons are 28" 1920x1200P(5ms) w/HDMI input (NO DVI ! ins)
These are side-by-side main workspace used for video and audio "timeline" sw

Also have two 1080P HDTVs (HDMI and other options)

First: A viewsonic 22" 1080P as "media bin display" ...
2nd: An LG5250 52" 120Hz 1080P with multiple ins ... as a playback mon.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am posting to ask several questions about various multiple display options using this hardware and "whatever" sw.

I just wanted to get this form filled out and to say "hello" in this first OP ...
... My questions are regarding what Win7-64Pro can do (natively) with this setup and also what nVidia drivers can/will do with these cards and standard drivers and also how to configure my PCIe slots (8x8?) to properly sense and balance the bandwidth, etc.

Thanks, in advance, for your time and any useful insights into what I might expect out of this proposed config.

= Alvin Smith =

multiscreenz

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010