Looking to upgrade to quad core

G

Hello,
Im looking to upgrade my system for some gaming and this is my current set up:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6GHz
2gb ram
8600 GTS

I plan to upgrade the video card to either a GTS 250 or HD 4850 but my question is about upgrading the cpu. I dont know much about computers so, this is my current motherboard ECS AM2N1K-M Plus Geforce 6100 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4268536&sku=S458-1328&srkey=s458-1328
I would like to upgrade to a quad core and I was wondering if there were any good cpu around $100 that were compatible with my mobo or if im just better off going a new mobo.

If I am better off with a new motherboard does anyone know of a cheap combo that includes a quad core as I dont have much to spend at the moment.

logainofhades

Titan

I bought that combo. Board is kinda nice especially since the board is free. It has a feature that if you hit F4 on the POST screen you can unlock cores on locked chips. As a test I tried it out on a sempron 140 I had lying around and it worked flawlessly. Since I only needed the setup to watch downloaded anime I just stuck with the sempron since it was doing great. Will probably fleabay the X4.

G

Man that looks like a good deal, but unfortunately I don't have one in my area. Is there a way to check if some of those cpu are compatible with my current motherboard?

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
It's funny how people assume that everyone has a MC or Fry's next door. I don't quite get that. Then again you have to wonder about someone who has a squirrel cage fan as their avatar.

Anyways, you say it's an ECS yet you linked a PC Chips.....I cannot find that model on PC Chips website.

I do not think that motherboard supports any triple or quad core cpu's.

However you can get a nice cpu/mobo combo for pretty cheap. Tell us where you live and what your budget is.

I'm not assuming anything. He SPECIFICALLY asked about a combo and I showed him the combo.

Yes, it would be nice if we KNEW where the OP was from, but knowing every posters location is never the case. So most instances, an advice will be given without the location information.

**Additionally, you guessed my fan wrong. If you one day happen to get it right, I'll ship you a thermalright HR09 New collecting dust in my basement, unless of course I find some use for it.