Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to format a new Seagate 1 TB ST31000528AS for mac

Last response: in Storage
June 21, 2012 7:11:14 PM

Hello,
Does anyone know how to format a new Seagate 1 TB ST31000528AS for mac,mine is dying so purchased same model, It came formatted DOS so,
I used my portable Universal Drive Adapter, Went to Disk Utilty,Erased it to format Mac OS extended journal,and it failed..There is a partition that is holding on in dos..What can I do :( 
Noel

Best solution

a b G Storage
June 24, 2012 5:37:55 AM

you can delete all the partitions on the drive, and create 1 partition. Format it with the mac filesystem and you are good to go
June 24, 2012 5:02:24 PM

Thanks for responding,
I tried deleting part ion and it gave me an error ,

Called seagate and asked them, if this was pre owned since i paid for a new on one on Amazon, the serial number came up not purchased previously, But the fact that it had a partition, was suspect.

I've never had a drive that even after erasing would hold on to partition, could it be the way I've connected it via Universal Drive connector?

I tried delete partition and create new one it fails and still keep partition I deleted.

Something shows up as FPI not being a pc user, i do not know, maybe some sorta corrupt file, Im gonna return this drive and pray mine hangs on till then..
Thanks again
m
l
Related resources
July 4, 2012 5:05:48 PM

Best answer selected by blendez.
m
l
May 31, 2013 1:16:45 PM

connect it externally and do fat32, works for both
m
l