Missing drive space aswell as one drive appearing as two

agentfood01

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Hi I'm having issues with my western digital 500gb hard drive, it's showing as two local drives, local drive C: would appear as 48.8 gigabytes and local drive D: would appear as 9.76 gigabytes. It's total space is not available to me. If you can help thanks.

Solution
Check to see how windows sees the drive through disk manager, it should be the correct size there. Sounds like the partitions are incorrect (multiple partitions = multiple drive letters). Re-partition and format and you should be good to go. If it's a USB external drive then one of the partitions may contain software from the manufacturer.

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Check to see how windows sees the drive through disk manager, it should be the correct size there. Sounds like the partitions are incorrect (multiple partitions = multiple drive letters). Re-partition and format and you should be good to go. If it's a USB external drive then one of the partitions may contain software from the manufacturer.

Solution

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
disk management can be accessed through the control panel/admin tools/computer manager/disk management or by typing diskmgmt.msc in the run box under the start menu, it's a bit different for each OS, but you should be able to find it.