Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Raidmax
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 15, 2010 5:41:13 AM

Hi

I got the raidmax skyline commonly known as a budget case,The case is designed to have the PSU placed at the bottom,Now my question is " Is the raidmax 730ss 730w PSU modular and are the cables long enough to reach the points that it needs to? " Currently thats the cheapest PSU where i am and therefore need to know if it will work with that specific case,If anyone knows of a PSU that uses less wattage please let me know as i don't run a rig that heavy with needs of power usage.

Much appreciated with your help

More about : info psu

a c 144 ) Power supply
July 15, 2010 6:17:07 AM

I would not buy a Raidmax PSU. But that's not the question you asked. :) 

A brief side trip to google indicates that the PSU uses modular cabling. Are the cables long enough? Should be. However the main power and CPU power cables may not be long enough to route behind the motherboard tray without using cable extensions.

Google also seemed to indicate that this an obsolete PSU design dressed up with more modern modular cables. It's a switchable (110 - 220 volt) PSU without active PFC. You have no idea of what the total max 12 volt output is. It's probably not 48 amps. The label says two 12 volt rails, each with a maximum output of 24 amps. That is not the same as a total output of 48 amps. Even if it is, a modern PSU of this size should be able to produce 55 - 58 amps.

Specs also say that it is "up to 85% efficient". That means that for some combination of input voltage and output load, efficiency at some point touched 85%. After all, 37% or 75% is "up to 85% efficient".

July 15, 2010 6:23:08 AM

What would you reccomend besides that psu?should i try an ocz brand?
Related resources
a c 131 ) Power supply
July 15, 2010 3:52:09 PM

I agree with jsc. A Chokemax PSU is marginally suitable for powering light bulbs, not delicate electronics.
OCZ would be a much better choice. If they are affordable, the best include Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, and Enermax. Look for full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and 80+ certification.
The PSU is NOT the place to look for the cheapest possible. Your entire rig depends on it, and poor quality can cause anything from system instability to destruction of attached components.
July 15, 2010 4:19:57 PM

Thanks guys just so hard to decide when your case doesn't offer information on the type of PSU that is suitable,il try get the ocz mod xtreme
July 21, 2010 8:18:35 AM

In south africa, the raidmax psu seems to be the cheapest but dont trust cheap everthing elses is 400 to 600 more Rand currency so take 39*8 and you will see how much i pay in rands
!