Sign in with
Your question

What's better 4 or 6 ram slots?

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2011 9:46:04 PM

I'm just interested in finding out your oppinions on which boards you think are better, the ones with 4 ram slots or the ones with 6.

In your answers could you explain why you think your chosen one is better and i don't want to just know the specs of each i want to know how they have performed on experience.

More about : ram slots

a c 1121 V Motherboard
January 23, 2011 9:50:34 PM

6 ram slots, LGA1366 high end supports triple channel memory. 4 ram slots other systems that support Dual channel memory. Basically based on what kind of system you are building and what you are going to use it for.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2011 9:54:07 PM

Well i want to use my board for gaming mainly but work aswell so what board would you recommend?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2011 10:31:11 PM

yes it is in my budget and i think i'm going to choose that option.

However what would someone who needed a 6 slot ram motherboard be using it for and if i wanted to upgrade to a different motherboard could i use parts like sound card and graphics card again.

a c 1121 V Motherboard
January 23, 2011 11:09:50 PM

The only reason for the 6 slot boards would be to run triple channel ram, which of course would help with heavy rendering and 3D modeling where Ram performance would be important factor in time savings. It would be a measurable difference in gaming but noticeable.
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2011 7:05:37 AM

RAM with only one channel (the conventional, old type RAM slots) have a single path to and from the North Bridge (the controller on the motherboard handling the interactions between the CPU and the RAM, PCI, etc.). This means only one path is used for all the slots (whether the motherboard has 2 or 4, and this means that the speed is very limited. Dual channel however, means it has another path added to this controller, making read/write rates much faster. The same applies to Triple channel, with three paths.

This can be compared with a highway. The cars are the data packets, and the roads the "paths" or "channels" on the motherboard:

Only so many cars can travel on a highway with one lane. Add another lane however, and the capacity of cars increase. Another lane, and it increases even more.

But it is necessary to remember the speed at which the cars have to travel:

Having a lot of cars, only capable of 60km/h (compare this to DDR3-1333), makes the use of 3 lanes unnecessary, as they will only clutter up the road and not fully utilize it, and thus making the money it cost to build the extra road excessive.

But having the same amount of cars, capable of traveling at higher speeds of say 90km/h (compare this to DDR3-1800), you will gain much more if you build another lane or path for them to travel along, making the amount of cars using the road over a certain time justify the money needed to build another lane.

Now, you are at the max. You have still the same amount of cars, but now they are able to travel at 120km/h (lets make this the DDR3-2200). They will travel fast along one lane, faster along two and at maximum speed along three lanes. This means that it is worth the money spent to build another lane, making these cars give their full potential.

What I'm trying to say is this: You cannot say Triple channel is better than Dual channel, if you are only going to use a P4 processor. The same applies the other way around: Dual channel isn't always better, as overclocking on the new Sandy Bridge processors makes it possible to use both Dual and Triple channel to a lot of their potential.

Personally, I would've appreciated Triple Channel on my Asus P8P67, as I believe the i5 2500K processor I got can benefit from the extra little speed, but hey, the designers know best right?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2011 8:43:40 AM

Thanks a lot for your answer i like the way you compared it to the lanes. As you can probably tell i am really new to making my own pc and don't know a lot.

You say you have an asus P8P67 and i just want to know what stuff you are using with it such as RAM, graphics cards etc.

And what case would you recomend for it?
January 24, 2011 12:03:35 PM

Heh - I (like a lot of people) am bursting to get a Sandy Bridge 2500K. I was looking at the MSI p67 ####55 board because I want to crossfire my 5850s. I will need to replace my Corsair XMS2 with some XMS3 (DDR2 800Mhz to DDR3 1600Mhz).

The Triple channel memory was for the 1366 boards (Core i7 9 series CPUs) and it WAS the king, until about two weeks ago when Sandy Bridge was released. And the new CPUs will go even faster than the 1366 ones, even with only dual channel memory.

The memory read and write speeds are PARTICULARILY fast, so dual versus triple channel is now a moot point.

Parry93 - You could probably get away with any mid-tower case. Even a cheap one. I just did a build with a CoolerMaster Elite 335, with was cheap and cheerful.

Get yourself some Dual Channel DDR3 RAM (PC12800 = 1600Mhz), a 4GB kit is almost as good as an 8Gb kit. For Sandy Bridge platform keep the RAM to 1.65v and under. You only really need 2x2Gb DIMMS to get great performance. You can get 2x4Gb DIMMS then upgrade later to 4x4Gb DIMMS (16Gb RAM!). You can basically use any DDR3 dual channel RAM you want.

Graphics cards at the moment - GTX570 is awesome. Also consider a GTX460 if the 560 is too expensive. You could also get the 6970, 6950, 6870 or 6850 from ATI. If you got loads of money get the GTX580. Just depend on your budget. The NVidia 5XX carda and the Radeon 6XXX cards all have excellent scaling for SLI or Crossfire, so if you want to use 2 graphics cards you will get upto a 100% performance boost.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2011 12:17:28 PM

Thanks a lot for your help.

Unfortunately i cannot currently affordthe GTX570 card but i am considering the GTX460.

Also can you explain ho a 4gb kit is nearly as good as 8gb when 8 is double.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2011 12:25:26 PM

Just one more question. I found a deal on the case which comes with a 500W PSU. Will this be enough for my P8P67. Also is the power adapter normally included with the PSU or the motherboard. By adapter i mean the thing with the 24 pins on the end.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2011 12:44:03 PM

Also a completely unrelated question but will i be able to install a blu ray drive to this motherboard?
January 24, 2011 1:02:43 PM

The PSU will come with the cables for the motherboard. Please post a link to the motherboard/PSU combo. In theory a 500 watt PSU would be enough for a 2500K and a GTX460, but if the PSU doesnt have enough AMPs of the 12v rail(s) then it might not be so great.

I would consider a 500W or greater OCZ StealthXtreme2 for a good budget PSU. Anything by Corsair is great. Antec and Coolermaster are also absolutely fine. You want something with a 80+ Bronze, Silver or Gold certification. This just guarantees efficiency and stability within a certain acceptable range.

The GTX460 is a great card! Good choice.

If you get a PSU, with a CPU/mobo/RAM, a case, a GPU, a HDD and a DVD, you will find all of the correct cables are supplied. The power cables will all come with the PSU. The motherboard will likely come with 2xSATA (hdd/dvd) cables. The GPU will come with 2xmolex to 6/8pin PCIExpress adapters, which you probably wont need but are a good backup if your PSU only has 1xPCIe power cable.

A GTX460 requires 2x6pin PCIExpress adapters from the PSU.

As for the 4Gb vs 8Gb thing, well basically it wont make very much difference in real-world applications.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2008/07/08/is-m...

Heres some people arguing about it on a forum:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=18041...

But basically if you spend $60 or whatever on another 4Gb, you are going to get barely noticable differences.
January 24, 2011 1:06:24 PM

Yes you can install a blueray drive :) . You can have either 6 or 8 (without looking at the mobo picture) SATA devices (HDDs, SSDs, DVDs, Blueray etc). They require SATA power connectors (your PSU will likely have atleast 3 of them).

All of this stuff is basically just plug and play. Your motherboard will recognise any SATA devices automatically. Gone are the days where the user actually had to go into the BIOS and change anything, except for maybe the time and date, but those are generally kept pretty well too!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2011 1:25:36 PM

I cant really afford the top range i7 cpu but what do you think would be a good one for me considering i need one good enough for gaming.
January 24, 2011 1:29:01 PM

OK here is the PSU, reviewed:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

It might just be able to run your proposed system, but you are really pushing it. According to the review it only just managed 420-430 Watts, although it was quite stable. And your graphics card will push it to it's limit, I think there are just enough amps on your 12v rails for your proposed build, but I would recommend something a bit more powerful.

Im also from the UK BTW, and I think the best place to get stuff from is here:

aria.co.uk

They are in Manchester, I buy loads from them and they are reliable, and the best prices in the UK I think.

Im gonna spec you up a machine from them, if you give me 5 or 10 mins ;) 
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2011 1:33:25 PM

Ok thanks a lot man i just assumed you were american because you referred to $'s earlier.

I think your right about the PSU and i'll wait and see what you come up with now.
January 24, 2011 1:38:46 PM

OK here is a build:

https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/-AnzOhOSdvQHny-1b1-VZg,,

No operating system. No screen. Used a dvd drive. Add roughly £40 if you want blueray. The HDD is put on there is fast and great value for money.

This machine will overclock to 4.3 Ghz at the push of a button ;) 
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2011 1:41:30 PM

i like it but i was thinking of the asus p8p67 deluxe board
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2011 1:47:32 PM

if i got everything you just put in the build except the motherboard and got the p8p67 would all the graphics card, cpu etc be compatible?
January 24, 2011 1:58:34 PM

Yeah if you got the asus p8p67 deluxe you could SLI another GTX460 in the future. Might want to get a 600watt+ PSU if you are planning on doing that. And you get USB 3.0 in the front panel! :) 
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2011 2:01:54 PM

Thanks so much for your help im ordering the stuff with a p8p67 board now and as this is my first build so would you mind me asking you some questions when i am assembling it.

Does the lead to connect the pc to a screen normally come with the board?
January 24, 2011 2:02:18 PM

Yeah it would work. To be completely honest you could use any p67 or h67 board.
The case I put in that build is a really cheap one by the way. It will work fine, but you might want a more stylish one. Any mid-tower case would work fine for your purposes. You might want to get the GTX460 1GB version instead of the 768Mb version I linked. I dont know about your budget. The 1Gb version will give a nice little boost in most games. But the 768Mb version is great value for money.
January 24, 2011 2:05:04 PM

I dont think you will get a cable. The card has HDMI out by the way, so you can attach it to a HDTV if you want.

But you generally get monitor cables with the monitor. This GPU supports VGA, DVI and HDMI cables.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2011 2:12:28 PM

I've never built a pc before so im not sure but would the one i'm building be just as good as a pre built gaming pc?

Another thing i was wondering is the anyway to make a home built pc work with a touchscreen?

January 24, 2011 2:34:04 PM

This machine will be better than a pre-built gaming PC!!! You will know that it was brought into the world by a person who really cared about it. All the parts have individual warranties. Because you built it youself you will be confident if you ever upgrade it.

Some tips:

1 - Make sure you put standoffs into the case before you screw your motherboard in. The case will come with standoff screws. They are little hex-screws which you can screw in with your fingers and they have a hole in the top of them where you put the screws which go through the mobo. They hold the motherboard about 8mm away from the back of the case, so you dont get a short curcuit from the back of the motherboard touching the case.

2 - First thing you do when it all arrives is take the motherboard out of the box, put it on top of a soft surface (like a towel under a piece of paper), then slot your RAM DIMMS in, then put your CPU in. When you put the CPU in be careful. It's not so hard, but you will have to clamp it in place with a tiny lever. When you are lowering the lever try and get the clamp into a position where you dont have to put a lot of pressure on it. It should come down fairly easy. If you think it feels too stiff, or you are scared you are putting too much preassure on the CPU then just try and adjust the angle of the clamp until it is comfortable.

3 - When you are putting the heatsink on, be aware of the thermal paste on the bottom of it. Intel heatsinks come with thermal paste pre-applied, so you just have to put the heatsink on and thats it.
Attach two diagonally opposite corners of the Heatsink first, then do the other two corners. Then plug the heatsink power cable to the motherboard (see mobo manual for exact position, will be three small pins, near to the CPU socket)

4 - When you have assembled the mobo, CPU, RAM and Heatsink, put the DVD drive in the case, put the HDD in the case, put the PSU in the case, then put the mobo in the case (put the standoffs in first!). Then you can start attaching all of your cables.

I would do them in this order:

1 - The case cables. (small wires for the power switch, reset switch, HDD LED etc)
These are the smallest and fiddleyest cables)
2 - The USB header (for the usb slots on the case)
3 - SATA cables (small cables included with mobo for attaching HDD and DVD to motherboard)
4 - SATA Power cables (this will be physically attached to yout PSU) - to power your HDD and DVD
5 - Mobo power cables (the 4/8pin and the 24pin huge cable that is also physically attached to the PSU)
6 - PCIExpress power cables into your graphics card
7 - If you have any case fans you can attach them to the PSU directly, or if your motherboard has extra fan headers you can put them into the motherboard.
January 24, 2011 2:36:22 PM

I have never used a touch screen with a home PC, but im sure you can do it.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2011 2:44:03 PM

Thankyou so much you are so helpful and i've learned so much already.

I almost forgot then i need a fan for the CPU dont i. Could you link me to a good one.
January 24, 2011 3:01:10 PM

Well the Retail Core i5 2500K CPU comes with a heatsink fan! Included in the box! You could replace it with a different one, but you dont need to. This CPU is basically fast with no overclocking. You could overclock it a bit with the stock fan, but if you want to push it really hard then you will need a better fan.

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Fans%2C+Heats...

The above link is to a great value heat sink which will perform better than the stock intel one, its small enough to fit into a smaller case (would definately fit in your proposed build)

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/arctic_cooling_...

This shows how it compares to some bigger, more expensive HSF's.

But like I say this is optional, you do get one with the CPU.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2011 3:11:04 PM

Thats good to know that i don't need to pay any extra.

I know i am going to sound like an idiot but i think overclocking is running the cpu higher than it was intended too. Am i right or am i completely wrong.
January 24, 2011 3:31:09 PM

That is correct. Generally you can overclock a CPU from you BIOS. The new Sandy Bridge K series CPUs are very easy to overclock. You just increase the 'multiplier' of the CPU.

The i5 2500K supports "turbo mode" so basically when the CPU is being stressed by a game for example, it will realise this and overclock itself to 3.7Ghz! It only does this when it is needed, so it will save power the rest of the time. You dont have to do anything. But you can go into the BIOS and overclock the turbo speed.

I mean you will have a very good CPU and motherboard, so if you want to overclock in the future (for example you could make the CPU run at 4.5Ghz permanently) you can. But I dont think you will need to do that for a while. This CPU is plenty fast enough just at stock speeds. It will literally chew through any game with great ease.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2011 3:38:22 PM

Again thanks for your help and i'll be sure to let you know how my first build goes.

Theres just one more thing the p8p67 board im getting will deffinatey fit the case you put on that list?
January 24, 2011 5:00:16 PM

Yup. You will definitely get everything into that case. It fits the MicroATX and the ATX form-factors. The mobo has 7 expansion slots, and the case also has 7 expansion slots, so it will fit into the case, but there wont be much room at the bottom. The PSU will go at the top of the case. But the CASE and the mobo both fit the ATX form factor. So they will be compatible :) 
!