Sign in with
Your question

Major help please

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 9, 2010 9:07:57 PM

I just put a gigabyte hd 5770 into my computer. It seems to be running at full speed while im gaming, while it works that is. Im getting over 100 fps on cod4, but then it will crash after a few minutes. After I have to do a hard reboot to power my system back up, when the bios loads it comes back with an overclock setup failed error. Only problem is I havent overclocked anything. When I bring up cpuz and amd overdrive to look at what the core clock is running at on my gpu it says, 156 mhz core clock and 300 memory. The card is stock 850 mhz clock and 1200 memory. Im not understanding why it is showing those profiles. I have updated the drivers from the gigabyte site and tried catalyst 1.3 and 1.2 suite. Still didnt fix the problems. Im wondering what could possibly cause this issue. Thanks!

More about : major

a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 9:21:25 PM

So you don't have absolutely ANYTHING in your PC OC'ed? CPU, RAM?

What is your PSU?
April 9, 2010 9:28:52 PM

Ok I did some other testing here, it turns out it passes all graphics tests just fine when my cpu is returned to normal clock speeds/voltages. And apparently the lower hmz clock and memory setting on the 5770 is for power savings, when im testing it uses the correct speeds.

Here is my system.

Asus 785td-v evo mobo
Amd Phenom II x4 955 C0 stepping
Ocz ddr3 1333 - 4 1 gig sticks. Set in bios at factory settings 7-7-7-20 at 1.8v
Antec tru power new 750 watt psu (overkill for this sytem as is)
Sunbeamtech core contact freezer 120

Prior to installing the graphics card I had this running at 3.9 ghz 19x205 at 1.406V. Ran PERFECT stable 24/7 passed 4 hours of prime95 never got above 50c. Now however im unable to run this processor overclocked at these settings at all. Why is this? Do I need to increase voltage somewhere else other then just cpu voltage? Or increase something else??
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 9:35:43 PM

What are your 5770 temps? Could heat other components

As for the voltage thing, i'm not THAT much into OC'ing, and i never want (or will want to) mess with those things. Really don't know

BTW your PSU is extra:D 
April 9, 2010 9:41:25 PM

The 5770 temps are coooooool. The gigabyte has excellent cooling btw. This thing after a nice long test I just finished topped out at 59c. Cooling is not a problem whatsoever with my setup. Im using an antec 300 illusion with a case mod to put another 120mm fan on the side. 5 120's and a 180 on top. Along with the sunbeam heatsink, heat is not the problem :) 

I realized this was an overclocking question so I put it in the appropriate forum section, I just freaked and thought my card wasnt working at first :) 

And yeah I planned on going big when I got that psu, but since then ive gone a little less haha.
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2010 8:24:53 AM

sr001 said:
The 5770 temps are coooooool. The gigabyte has excellent cooling btw. This thing after a nice long test I just finished topped out at 59c. Cooling is not a problem whatsoever with my setup. Im using an antec 300 illusion with a case mod to put another 120mm fan on the side. 5 120's and a 180 on top. Along with the sunbeam heatsink, heat is not the problem :) 

I realized this was an overclocking question so I put it in the appropriate forum section, I just freaked and thought my card wasnt working at first :) 

And yeah I planned on going big when I got that psu, but since then ive gone a little less haha.

Very nice temps!:D  Nice case!

Well see the posts on your thread look if you find an answer. I'm not such an OC expert like most of the guys here:) 
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2010 5:26:36 PM

sr001 said:
Ok I did some other testing here, it turns out it passes all graphics tests just fine when my cpu is returned to normal clock speeds/voltages.

If the video card passes all tests at stock CPU speeds, it doesn't matter what the CPU did with the older video card. You have a stability problem.

Start over with the overclock.
April 10, 2010 5:38:41 PM

Try 3 Diffrent Games

and i am a fool i let GTA 4 in 1980X1050 in a 32" moniter for 3 full hours
and my Gpu went to 82-86C !@#!@

just told this to you to confirm you have'nt done anything like this
April 11, 2010 5:02:29 PM

I have tried it on multiple games and the outcome is still the same. Sometimes when I boot everything works just fine, other times when I boot I get a crash within 2 minutes of playing something. Even at stock (auto) bios settings not overclocked at all. It doesnt appear that overclocking or stock makes one bit of difference. When the computer crashes it still says "overclocking failed" when board has its next post, even if I havent done ANY overclocking at all. My temps are all just fine, only running 1 monitor, after running 3 different games for over an hour a piece my core temps are topping out at 39c, mobo isnt getting over 29c, and my graphics card is topping out at 58c. WELLL WELL within reasonable temps for this setup. Is this possible a driver issue afterall with the graphics card? Or maybe the gigabyte card doesnt like my asus mobo? I had originally thought to check the ram out as well, im running ocz platinum 1333 and I tried lowering voltages to 1.5 and lowered it to 10666 with 8-8-8-24 settings even, still would crash on an unlucky reboot. Im not understanding it. It almost HAS to be a bios problem somewhere, just one setting that would probably fix this entire issue but ill be dammed if I can figure it out.
April 12, 2010 1:49:34 AM

put your PCIe rating up by a few, not too much just like one or two.

Also run your RAM at 1;1 ratio
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 2:10:32 AM

Your ram is supposed to be set at 1.65 volts ? Leave it at 1066 and those timings but correct voltage. IMO, thats where your stability issue is. I have witnessed that with my setup. 3d processing exposed stability issues, IE when I tried faster ram timings.
April 12, 2010 4:09:23 AM

Im not quite understanding what you mean by 1:1 ratio on the ram :( 

And actually at the official ocz website for the ram that I have, it is suppost to run at 1333 @ 1.8 v. Since im running 4 sticks in dual channel I have it set on 667 mhz in the bios with the manufacturer rated 7-7-7-20 timings and the manufacturer rated 1.8v. The 1.8v is odd but thats just what the ram wants, and I have looked at the ram I have and many people if they just leave the bios set it, the ram is unstable at the default 1.5v, but as soon as they change the voltage to 1.8 it is fine, and that was the same case with me. The ram is rated to run at 1.8v to 1.95v at its correct speed.
!