Seeking Multiple Answers To SSD Concerns - Help Please

csk222

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Hello TomsHardware.

I am on the verge of building my second custom PC, all of the parts have been ordered and should arrive by next week. Having had such a pleasant experience on my first build, I think/hope this build will go smoothly.

Here are some of the concerns I ran into on my first build:

I didn’t listen to suggestions last time about using a 64GB SSD, some commented that it was not going to be enough room for my boot drive and a couple of programs. They were totally correct. I was able to install Windows 7 on my SSD successfully; I didn’t even install any programs. I installed my programs on my 1TB HDD but some of the programs would still install some “folders” on my SSD (Boot Drive), I quickly ran out of room on my 64GB SSD. I had no other choice but to Reinstall Windows 7 on my 1TB HDD. My 64GB SSD is just sitting there.

I found this forum with information on how to redirect program files in Windows 7. I almost brought myself up to try, but decided not to.

Link:
http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f127/redirecting-program-files-program-files-x86-vista-win7-245289/

Here is the current situation:

Concerns for my first build - 128GB SSD Boot Drive Upgrade

I bought 2 SSDs, one 128GB SSD for my first build and one 256GB SSD for my second build. I want to know how to install the 128GB SSD on my first build with a fresh install of Windows 7. I already have all of my information backed up on external hard drives and my programs ready to be reinstalled.

I have questions like:
Do I have to reinstall drivers for my motherboard?
Do I have to do anything to my motherboard? Graphics Card? Etc.
What happens to my data on the 1TB HDD when I connect it to my PC once the SSD is installed and running Windows 7? I think it will most likely tell me that I have to partition the drive – I don’t know.

Concerns for my second build – Find good use for 64GB SSD

What do I do with my 64GB SSD, how can I put it to use? I’d like to use it for a cache but don’t really know how to go about it or if it will help my system at all.

Here is my first build:

Case: Corsair 300R
PSU: Corsair AX750
MoBo: ASRock Extreme4 Gen3
CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB (4 x 4GB)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
GPU: EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked
HDD: WB Caviar Black 1TB
SDD: Crucial M4 64GB
Optical Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW iHAS424-98

Here is my second build:

Case: Corsair 400R
PSU: Corsair AX750
MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB (4 x 4GB)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
GPU: None for now
HDD: WB Caviar Black 1TB
SDD1: Crucial M4 128GB <<< For my first build
SSD2: Crucial M4 256GB
Optical Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW iHAS424-98

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Solution

Yes you do for a fresh Windows install.

Make sure the port your SSD is connected to is in AHCI mode.
And while you don’t have to you should make sure your motherboard BIOS is at the latest version.

If the HDD is just a secondary drive (no O/S on it) then nothing will happen.
Just leave it disconnected until after you install your O/S on your SSD, then you can connect it...

Yes you do for a fresh Windows install.

Make sure the port your SSD is connected to is in AHCI mode.
And while you don’t have to you should make sure your motherboard BIOS is at the latest version.

If the HDD is just a secondary drive (no O/S on it) then nothing will happen.
Just leave it disconnected until after you install your O/S on your SSD, then you can connect it.

Use it as a secondary drive however you wish. Store pictures, music, backup data, etc.
You’ll already have a SSD as your O/S, so using another SSD for cache won’t improve performance.

Solution

csk222

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Thanks for the response.

1. Reinstalling all drivers (checking for updates)
2. AHCI Mode
Got it.

There is an O/S on my HDD so that’s unfortunate. It will be wiped clean.

So what I understand is that the SSD Cache feature is only to speed up HDDs with O/S on them. Is that correct?

Is there anyway to implement the SSD Cache on my HDD now or do you have to do it in the beginning when you’re first installing the O/S and setting up the system? I’d just like to know for future reference.

Thanks.

Correct.

The ports your HDD and SSD are connected to have to be in RAID mode in order to use Intel SRT caching.

If your HDD was in IDE mode when you installed your O/S on it then you have to do a Windows Registry edit before you change SATA modes, otherwise you will get a BSOD.

If your HDD was in AHCI mode when you installed your O/S then you should have no issues when changing SATA mode.

Do not recommend iRST, Use the drive as a "work/temp" drive and put files that YOU most often use, or put files that you want to work on and when done put back on HDD.
To ans your question on How to: http://www.pcworld.com/article/248828/how_to_set_up_intel_smart_response_ssd_caching_technology.html.
After reading that I think you will also say, not worth it.

Have You already wipped your 64 gig SSD.
If it still has OS on it.
1) Stick it back in, boot to windows and create an image of it. (Goto control panel, System & security and select backup. You can go ahead and create the bootable repair DVD, but not needed, as you can use your Windows installation disk.
2) disconnect 64 gig SSD, connect your 128 gig SSD. boot to Windows installation disk and select REPAIR, restore using an image file"
.... 10 Miutes later Done!!
3) boot to New SSD, Rt click on MyComputer, select Manage, then on left side select Disk management. click on Disk0 (SSD) and select EXPAND and expand the partion to the full size.

csk222

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
My HDD was/is in AHCI mode. I am not going to set it up, I just wanted get a basic idea of how it was done.

Thanks for the article on SSD Caching Technology.

I did wipe my 64GB SSD. I still have the "Win7 Repair" DVD I made when I first set it up. Can I use that? I have no problem starting from scratch again if I have to.

Thanks.

Depending, What is on the Win 7 Repair DVD.
I'm quessing you may have done an Image of "C-Drive: (SSD) and at the end of creatiing an image file it will prompt you to make a repair Disk. By itself the Repair disk is of no value, it will ask you were that image is. If You still have the Image Yes.

Could also be that the Image is on a set of 3->5 DVDs. The repair disk will prompt you to insert the DVDs (NOTE I think you have to first insert the LAST one, then the first one.)

csk222

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
That's it. It's just the repair disk, I saved the image of the SSD on the HDD but it was deleted when I had to install the O/S on the HDD. So that is not going to work out.

I will start from scratch.

Thank you Tomshardware Community for the help you provide us all.