Athlon II X3 445 socket compatibility

rparker

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I must say first off, that I find this site very useful in upgrading my pc. I like how both the video card and CPU sections (plus others I am sure) are updated monthly.

My question was about updating my PC with both a new CPU graphics card (because mine recently got fried) and I am looking at buying one of these 2 CPUs, but I am not sure if its compatible with my system. I have a AM2 socket on my motherboard, and although I read that SOME AM3 processors are compatible with AM2 motherboards, I have not read anything to confirm whether this one is. Is it compatible? If not, are there any other CPUs that you guys would recommend to me?

I have DDR2 if that helps.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010

It would help if you specified your motherboard make.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Solution

rparker

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Is it possible that i could use the BIOS for that motherboard?

Are there any alternatives available for me to use an AM3 processor other than buying a new motherboard and processor? Those processors listed just don't seem to be enough of an upgrade to justify buying them compared to the newer AM3's.

I am looking to upgrade into a good casual gaming system, so I am thinking of upgrading my processor and graphics card (my nvidia 8600 GT recently broke down so I will need another graphics card too).

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Is it possible that i could use the BIOS for that motherboard?
It would be a risk trying to flash your current BIOS for something newer that's not guaranteed to work. Worst case (& most probable too) - you might not be able to revert back to your original BIOS which means that you'll have an expansive hundred $ paper weight.

Are there any alternatives available for me to use an AM3 processor other than buying a new motherboard and processor?
I'm afraid it's a no here as well. While some AM3 CPUs might work w/ AM2 boards, yours just won't be able to support any of them.