Your question
Solved

Athlon II X3 445 socket compatibility

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Compatibility
Last response: in CPUs
July 15, 2010 7:09:38 AM

I must say first off, that I find this site very useful in upgrading my pc. I like how both the video card and CPU sections (plus others I am sure) are updated monthly.

My question was about updating my PC with both a new CPU graphics card (because mine recently got fried) and I am looking at buying one of these 2 CPUs, but I am not sure if its compatible with my system. I have a AM2 socket on my motherboard, and although I read that SOME AM3 processors are compatible with AM2 motherboards, I have not read anything to confirm whether this one is. Is it compatible? If not, are there any other CPUs that you guys would recommend to me?

I have DDR2 if that helps.

More about : athlon 445 socket compatibility

a b à CPUs
July 15, 2010 7:20:31 AM

AM3 CPUs will work in AM2+ or AM2 motherboards if the motherboard supports it through a BIOS update. The Athlon II X3 445 will support DDR2 as well. AM2+ or AM2 CPUs will not work in AM3 motherboards however.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2010 7:47:45 AM

You will need to check if you motherboard manufacturer has made a BIOS update available that supports newer CPU's. Many AM2 boards won't support AM3 CPU's.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2010 4:26:52 PM

rparker said:
I must say first off, that I find this site very useful in upgrading my pc. I like how both the video card and CPU sections (plus others I am sure) are updated monthly.

My question was about updating my PC with both a new CPU graphics card (because mine recently got fried) and I am looking at buying one of these 2 CPUs, but I am not sure if its compatible with my system. I have a AM2 socket on my motherboard, and although I read that SOME AM3 processors are compatible with AM2 motherboards, I have not read anything to confirm whether this one is. Is it compatible? If not, are there any other CPUs that you guys would recommend to me?

I have DDR2 if that helps.

It would help if you specified your motherboard make.
m
l
July 15, 2010 5:06:31 PM

I looked up my computer from my manufacturers website (gateway) and I found this:

ECS MCP61-P AM2 Motherboard.

Now, they also have a BIOS download for this, but I am unable to see if it allows AM3 to be recognized by the motherboard (not that I know what to look for).

This is the gateway site with my computer

http://www.support.gateway.com/s//PC/R/1014137/1014137n...
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 15, 2010 7:39:34 PM

Well apparently, that board doesn't even have a listing on ECS's website. The closest I was able to find was this:
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail...

Concluding from that, you cannot go beyond Athlon 64 X2. Which means your options are limited to:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
July 16, 2010 3:43:13 AM

Is it possible that i could use the BIOS for that motherboard?

Are there any alternatives available for me to use an AM3 processor other than buying a new motherboard and processor? Those processors listed just don't seem to be enough of an upgrade to justify buying them compared to the newer AM3's.

I am looking to upgrade into a good casual gaming system, so I am thinking of upgrading my processor and graphics card (my nvidia 8600 GT recently broke down so I will need another graphics card too).
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2010 12:37:36 PM

+10 billion to that! learned that the hard way a long time ago. :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2010 4:49:05 PM

Quote:
Is it possible that i could use the BIOS for that motherboard?

It would be a risk trying to flash your current BIOS for something newer that's not guaranteed to work. Worst case (& most probable too) - you might not be able to revert back to your original BIOS which means that you'll have an expansive hundred $ paper weight.

Quote:
Are there any alternatives available for me to use an AM3 processor other than buying a new motherboard and processor?

I'm afraid it's a no here as well. While some AM3 CPUs might work w/ AM2 boards, yours just won't be able to support any of them.
m
l
July 23, 2010 2:53:35 AM

alright, thanks for the replies ksampanna. Maybe I will just buy another motherboard in a month's time, along with the upgraded processor.
m
l
July 30, 2010 5:05:01 AM

Best answer selected by rparker.
m
l
!