Sign in with
Your question

Realtek HD Audio Default Recording Input Device

Last response: in Components
July 15, 2010 7:42:41 AM

I have a Realtek HD Audio IC running under Windows 7. I don't know the codec or driver numbers, and I don't know where to find them. I only became aware of their relevance after reading other posts. My problem is that the default recording device is the microphone, and in fact, it's also only recording device. The result of this is that every ambient sound within the range of the microphone is a part of all audio recordings: conversations, pets, the television, the air conditioner, etc. This is only my second computer. This wasn't a problem with my first computer and I didn't expect it would be. Was I just lucky? I think this is crazy and I can't believe this card was actually designed to work this way. Is this a common problem? Does anyone have a solution?
July 15, 2010 9:50:00 AM

go into your sounds and audio settings and change the recording settings and mute the microphone there. That should stop it from taking audio from your mic while recording.
m
l
July 15, 2010 8:55:41 PM

If the Realtek is onboard then mobo specs from mfg. will tell you what chipset # you have and available drivers, etc. for it.
m
l
Related resources
July 16, 2010 1:28:51 AM

Collie147 said:
go into your sounds and audio settings and change the recording settings and mute the microphone there. That should stop it from taking audio from your mic while recording.

collie147,

Thanks collie, but I did that. But because the microphone is the default recording device, as well as the only recording device, muting it causes nothing to be recorded.
m
l
July 16, 2010 1:31:38 AM

Orac said:
If the Realtek is onboard then mobo specs from mfg. will tell you what chipset # you have and available drivers, etc. for it.

Orac,

Thanks for the information.
m
l
October 26, 2012 5:51:45 PM

mchlgn said:
I have a Realtek HD Audio IC running under Windows 7. I don't know the codec or driver numbers, and I don't know where to find them. I only became aware of their relevance after reading other posts. My problem is that the default recording device is the microphone, and in fact, it's also only recording device. The result of this is that every ambient sound within the range of the microphone is a part of all audio recordings: conversations, pets, the television, the air conditioner, etc. This is only my second computer. This wasn't a problem with my first computer and I didn't expect it would be. Was I just lucky? I think this is crazy and I can't believe this card was actually designed to work this way. Is this a common problem? Does anyone have a solution?

m
l
October 26, 2012 5:52:09 PM

mchlgn said:

m
l
October 26, 2012 5:56:25 PM

mchlgn said:

m
l
!