Sign in with
Your question

How to configure 7.1 sound on ATI 5770

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 9, 2010 10:12:19 PM

johnhopfensperger[at]gmail.comHello,
I can't seem to enable 7.1 or 5.1 sound on my PowerColor Radeon HD 5770. I went to the manage audio devices panel in the Win7 control panel/hardware and sound window. I then choose the ATI HDMI Output device and tried to configure speakers. The only option I was offered was stereo. I am using an hdmi cable plugged into an Onkyo receiver capable of Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats. I'm not sure why I'm not offered a 7.1 option in the control panel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Anonymous
April 9, 2010 11:45:27 PM

johnhop said:
johnhopfensperger[at]gmail.comHello,
I can't seem to enable 7.1 or 5.1 sound on my PowerColor Radeon HD 5770. I went to the manage audio devices panel in the Win7 control panel/hardware and sound window. I then choose the ATI HDMI Output device and tried to configure speakers. The only option I was offered was stereo. I am using an hdmi cable plugged into an Onkyo receiver capable of Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats. I'm not sure why I'm not offered a 7.1 option in the control panel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You can only get Dolby True HD and DTS Master's on pre-encoded material i.e. BluRay dics, in normal situations you'd only get stereo unless you upmix it to prologic or DTS Neo 5.1 on your receiver.
April 10, 2010 3:39:51 AM

Thank you for replying. When a BluRay disc was played, no sound came through the HDMI at all, but if switched from ATI HDMI to the sound card, sound would come out, only stereo. My son said that when he hooked the PS3 to the receiver, PS3 didn't automatically perceive that the Onkyo could handle 7.1 and it had to set manually. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD do work from the PS3. I don't know what I'm doing with the sound on the computer.
!