Need help diagnosing daily SSD crashing/freezing

Perfect5th

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Here is my setup...

i5-2500k (OC'ed to 4.0ghz)
Gigabyte z68 motherboard (GA-Z68XP-UD3)
8gb G.Skill ripjaw RAM (1600; 2 4gb sticks)
EVGA GTX560ti 448 core
Samsung 830 128gb SSD
Windows 7 64-bit

Everything has been just fine until I installed an OCZ Vertex 4 SSD to replace my 7200rpm HDD. It ran amazingly fast but 2-3 times a day it would freeze up. It manifests as an inability to interact with windows and every time the cursor would switch to that spinning blue circle icon.

I tried everything I could think of from updating drivers to reformatting to switching the BIOS into AHCI mode. I also attempted to update the firmware but I had no success. Nothing worked so I replaced the Vertex 4 with a Samsung 380.

I am having the exact same problems with the new SSD. The freezing occurs either immediately upon logging into windows, or (more frequently) it freezes at seemingly random times. The only way to recover the system is to manually power it down, and even then it seems to lock up upon booting about 25% of the time (its getting worse though).

My computer runs PERFECTLY in safe mode with networking. The only known issue with my hardware is two potentially nonfunctional USB3 ports on the back of the motherboard. I went to unplug something one day and I felt a strong static shock, now my keyboard and mouse do not work in those slots (extremely frustrating luck). I have not done any further testing on the USB ports.

I really have no idea what could be wrong at this point. My SSD is the only hard drive and it is plugged into a SATA III port (SATA_0). Anyone have an idea? This is driving me insane.

Perfect5th

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I no longer have the Vertex 4 installed. I am using a Samsung 830 now. I tried numerous times to update the firmware on the Vertex 4, and it never worked. I will definitely check out my motherboard BIOS version though, thank you for the suggestion.

Perfect5th

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I used a fairly old Windows 7 disc that a friend gave to me a while ago. (I purchased windows 7 as a digital download so I don't have an official disc). I then installed drivers manually from Gigabyte's website. I am fairly confident that I installed all the right drivers, but I cannot be 100% certain. I am going to restart now so I can find out my BIOS version.

Perfect5th

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I had already disabled sleep mode on the SSD through the power options in the control panel. I did this almost immediately after installing windows.

Is the BIOS version I listed above ok? (iSrc 1.20E)

fantastik250

Distinguished

Nope, that's the SATA AHCI bios screen.