Right speed for 5850?

OK guys, maybe this has been discussed to death but I didn't see it anywhere else. Basically I feel something isn't right with the speed of my rig, considering it has a 5850. The rest is the following:

Q6600 in an MSI P35
Win7 Home Premium x64
8800GT as PhysX card using the corresponding hack.

All drivers are up-to-date. Seriously, all of them, as well as BIOSes, firmwares, etc.

I'm getting 62 FPS average on Dirt 2's benchmark at 1680*1050 with everything on max.

Far Cry 2 Demo Ranch Long 70,53 FPS average on 1680*1050, all max.

I'm not saying I should get Core i7 performance but don't these seem low?

Thank you all in advance for your 2 cents.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about right speed 5850
  1. Overclock that CPU a couple of notches and see how that affects it.
  2. Your CPU is bottlenecking. OC it some bit.
  3. My bad guys, the CPU is at 3.0 GHz (333.97*9 MHz) at the moment. I guess that was an important omission as it was the first thing I did. Framerates differ like 1-2% between 2.4 and 3.0 GHz. By the way, thank you both for the quick replies.
  4. Hello Shadow, I'm with you, I saw the same graph which is what raised the question. My system is showing 70,53 FPS where the graph shows 92 FPS for 5850@1680*1050. What gives? Is the Q6600 such a bottleneck?
  5. Here is the cpu setting for that benchmark above.

"Intel Core i7-975 Extreme (Bloomfield) 3.33 GHz, 6.4 GT/s, 8 MB L3 Cache, power-saving settings disabled
    Overclocked to 4 GHz (25 * 160 MHz)"

That is much more CPU power than Q6600 @ 3.0
  6. OK rolli, thank you for your input too.

If anyone out there has a similar config to mine with the same numbers then I will need to settle for that explanation.

I guess I just didn't expect a Q6600 to be such a bottleneck, regardless of the fact that I know it can get its ass handed to it by the i7-975.

Again, thank you both for your replies, I appreciate it.
  7. Let me just get down to my point: if you anyone out there knows for a fact (i.e. had a 5850 with a bottleneck from the Q6600) please chime in.

Shadow and rolli, I do get your guys' point and reasoning and appreciate your input, and please let me know if you do know of similar cases.
  8. Best answer
  9. Props and thanks to you rolli, even the i7-920 does seem to be somewhat bottlenecking in the benchmarkreviews charts.

I know benchmarks using an i7-975 are done to make sure they're not bottlenecking the GPU, but man, the difference between an 975 and a"real-world" CPU almost make the benchmarks pointless from a buyer's point of view. Nobody's fault though, it just seems to be getting harder and harder to predict an upgrade's effect.
  10. Best answer selected by xiiifigs.
  11. I have a GTX 260 and I get 74 avg FPS with the exact same settings as the OP @ 3.8Ghz

The OP has a huge CPU bottleneck.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics