Quality of computers at shows?

G

Okay, my friend wants to build a computer herself, and I of course, can help her... but there are some good deals at local computer shows... should she get one there and accesorize? Or are the pieces there just like OEM's? low quality, cut corners, etc??

Thanks..

Old addage: "Users never prosper" :eek:) Long live the tweakers

mpjesse

Splendid
Low quality, cut corners, they use "on board" everything and no warranty. What good is a warranty if the company you bought it from is 3 states away?

-MP Jesse

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not always. There are deals at computer shows, where I live anyways, that use quality parts and give detailed list of everything inside, and are actually cheaper than buying all the parts seperately. What may be a good choice for her is to buy a barebones system (case, power supply, motherboard, processer), then get whatever else is needed. My brother bought a barebone Athlon TBird 1GHz for like $270 with an MSI K7T Pro 2 mobo. Damn good deal if you ask me. I say look VERY hard and actually get details on what exactly is in there before you buy it, and know exactly what you want to make sure you don't accidently get something you're not too sure about.

DGP_2000

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
Well I know that the shows I goto "MarketPro" are very bad .
(6 bucks to get in but $5 if you have the printable coupon from thier website)

High prices , old hardware/software , used 10 year old junk (boxes of modems & videocards 2 for $10) **G**

You will find new items but rarely find "RETAIL" items . Just mostly used OEM hardware they want a MINT for .

If you're looking for Accessories such as cables & fans , that's the place to go .

That's just the MarketPro show here in FL though .
RUDE DAMN PEOPLE ALSO !

shadewind

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
I know this thread has not been active for a while but still needed to respond. I'm beginning to run the shows as a way to get my name out. http://www.techxtreme.us and I can say that if you want a cheap computer dont do the shows you will be ripped off but I can tell you that if you want and high end reliable system it is a place to check out. I can build a more powerful system then what Dell sells for 2800 for only 2300. The more stuff you get the bigger the savings. All of mine personally are custom designed with top of the line parts.