Sign in with
Your question

AMD PII 965 with stock cooler?

Last response: in CPUs
July 15, 2010 11:39:46 AM

Hi,
I am going to build a PC with AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition. My local store has only boxed version (maybe this CPU always come as boxed).
My question is, how good (or bad) is the stock cooler in the box? Is there review of stock cooler? I am concerning both performance and noise level.
The CPU is more than powerful enough for my usage so I have no plan to OC it at least in the first couple of years.

BR
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 15, 2010 12:00:06 PM

The stock cooler does a good job keeping the X4 965 cool at stock speeds but it does get noisy when a heavy workload heats up the CPU.

That 'I have no plan to OC it at least in the first couple of years' and your concern with noise says to me you're a good candidate for an aftermarket CPU cooler.

Have you thought about how much you want to spend? What case will you be using?
Related resources
August 24, 2010 7:54:06 PM

I used the stock cooler for one day and decided better not to live with it. So I picked up Scythe Mugen 2. and I am very happy with it ever since. The CPU is more than 10 degree cooler comparing to stock cooler. Scythe Mugen 2 with 100% fan speed is even much more silent than stock cooler with silent fan profile at idle.

Just as the other post mentioned, you do need 2 pair of hands to install SM2, one pair hold the cooler and the other one put on screws on the other side of motherboard. And make sure it can fit you case
!