scled1007_67

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Updated the system link, I followed the links you gave and have pretty much finished that check list, including beeping errors, I'm in the middle of removing the motherboard and reinstalling. Will post back if anything has changed.

Ok here is my issue, I bought a kit from tiger direct and every version of windows I've tried installing has frozen at various points, sometimes the loading screen, sometimes when it's extracting files etc. etc. Here is the link to the system
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6075483&csid=_21

So far this is what I have tried, I tried the default bios settings, I've tried manually setting the timing of both the ram and cpu though the cpu had stock settings already. I've tried switching the ram out into different slots, single ram by its self in different slots. I've tried disable sata, lan, audio and fire wire and using old ide optical and hard drives. I've tried the same but disabling ide and using only sata and in both setups have the a drive disabled. I've also tried installing via usb drive. It came with pci-e card of which i switched to a regular generic pci card. I've unplugged both sets of usb connectors internally. I tried switching out the PSU to a 500w model that came with a separate case I bought.

I think I've covered everything I've tried and this is going into a week almost and it's slowly killing my inner child. Any insight would help greatly.

Idle cpu temp is 44 c according to bios and thats with a zalman cnps 10x, even tried two different brands of thermal grease, the mother board runs about the same, though the ASUS rep said that was normal for the north bridge.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Well ... there is not some evil spirit that is out to get you, in particular ... everybody is doing it.

At this point, you would do best to start anew, and to be bruatally methodical in your troubleshooting process.

You have to throw out ALL your "tried that alreadys" and to carefully log (in writing) everything that you can absolutely prove or eliminate.

It is very difficult for us (here) to jump into the middle of this "process" and to contribute any sort of progress.

At the VERY LEAST, you are going to have to post each exact part/model# (with product links) and you must be willing to start from the screws, on up ...

... Slightly flakey (marginal) ram voltages and timings are not out of the question ... other marginal or intermittent power or thermal issues can cause such sporadic symptoms, as well ... poorly seated GPU ... funky driver issues ... the list goes on and on.

This fault must be absolutely isolated, through casualty swapping and parallel testing (which you have attempted, unsuccessfully) ... ABSOLUTE METHOD ... WITHOUT ASSUMPTIONS is the only route out of this mess.

.... in the end ... it WILL be something really stupid ... invariably.

Start here ... with this doc ... attempt to clearly eliminate each checkpoint absolutely and without >>> any question or doubt <<< !

Put and asterisk by any checkpoints which are not absolutely proven OK ....

There is no such thing as "partially proven" ... all knowns (logged) must be a clear yes or no ... no maybeez.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

Start gathering up all your links to products and manuals ... we gonna need 'em.

= Alvin =

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
yup ... from my 1st reply ...

... Slightly flakey (marginal) ram voltages and timings are not out of the question ... other marginal or intermittent power or thermal issues can cause such sporadic symptoms, as well ... poorly seated GPU ... funky driver issues ... the list goes on and on.