Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia 9400 gt card problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 10, 2010 1:07:24 AM

i bought a nvidia 9400 gt card(1 gb), it worked good the first day, but then the next day it started to crash some games and even crashed the pc(well only gears of war)and also started to display some weird blurry textures(almost every other game), i had an 500w power supply, i read the 9400 requeriments and it said 580, so i replaced it with one of 600w(i was thinking to replace it with one of 800w or so, but no one on the ******* city had one!)so i take the computer to a computer store to get its power suppply changed, after three days its ready, and it works good so far the first day, next day is the same problem as before, so can someone tell me what could be my problem?

Specs:windows xp professional, 2 gb ram, 60w power supply, intel core duo e4500 2.20 ghz (2 cpus)

i hope someone can help me
April 10, 2010 1:11:13 AM

The card is very likely defective. 9400GT cards don't require anywhere even close to that amount of power. Changing the PSU was at best wishful thinking, but pretty much an entire waste of time.

Return and exchange the card. And now that you have a more powerful PSU, unless you also decide to return it, you can get a much, much more powerful card.
m
l
Anonymous
April 10, 2010 1:24:03 AM

drevanftw said:
i bought a nvidia 9400 gt card(1 gb), it worked good the first day, but then the next day it started to crash some games and even crashed the pc(well only gears of war)and also started to display some weird blurry textures(almost every other game), i had an 500w power supply, i read the 9400 requeriments and it said 580, so i replaced it with one of 600w(i was thinking to replace it with one of 800w or so, but no one on the ******* city had one!)so i take the computer to a computer store to get its power suppply changed, after three days its ready, and it works good so far the first day, next day is the same problem as before, so can someone tell me what could be my problem?

Specs:windows xp professional, 2 gb ram, 60w power supply, intel core duo e4500 2.20 ghz (2 cpus)

i hope someone can help me

These ultra low end cards do not need a good PSU, any PSU would do. The 9400 GT is probably defective so return the card.

Side note, the 9400 GT isnt a good choice of card to buy anyways, its very slow and isnt really a "gaming" card.

m
l
Related resources
April 10, 2010 1:56:10 AM

Quote:
These ultra low end cards do not need a good PSU, any PSU would do. The 9400 GT is probably defective so return the card.

Side note, the 9400 GT isnt a good choice of card to buy anyways, its very slow and isnt really a "gaming" card.

what card would you recommend me?
m
l
April 10, 2010 1:57:45 AM

RazberyBandit said:
The card is very likely defective. 9400GT cards don't require anywhere even close to that amount of power. Changing the PSU was at best wishful thinking, but pretty much an entire waste of time.

Return and exchange the card. And now that you have a more powerful PSU, unless you also decide to return it, you can get a much, much more powerful card.

what card should i get?
m
l
April 10, 2010 2:06:31 AM

Depends on the rest of the system components (CPU mainly), what games you play or want to play, and what resolution your monitor is. List all that and I'll gladly recommend one.
m
l
April 10, 2010 6:54:20 PM

RazberyBandit said:
Depends on the rest of the system components (CPU mainly), what games you play or want to play, and what resolution your monitor is. List all that and I'll gladly recommend one.

you mean this?:Specs:windows xp professional, 2 gb ram, 60w power supply, intel core duo
e4500 2.20 ghz (2 cpus)

games i would like to play would be:gears of war, call of duty 6

the resolution of my monitor is 1024*768
m
l
Anonymous
April 10, 2010 9:06:44 PM

drevanftw said:
you mean this?:Specs:windows xp professional, 2 gb ram, 60w power supply, intel core duo
e4500 2.20 ghz (2 cpus)

games i would like to play would be:gears of war, call of duty 6

the resolution of my monitor is 1024*768

Your computer is getting a little bit old, the processor and small amount of ram will bottleneck any fancy video cards, luckily your choice of resolution is extremely low so you can get away with it.

I would recommend the ATI 5750 or 5770. You might be able to find a ATI 4830 or 4850 for slightly cheaper, either one of the above mentioned cards can handle GOW and COD WM2 well at high-ish settings and a decent frame rate.

m
l
April 11, 2010 8:29:31 AM

I think the 5750 and 5770 aren't quite worth the investment in an older system like this. You can get similar graphics power from the previous generation. So I'd go with something under $100, not over. Cards such as:

9600GT, GT240, 9800GT, 9800GTX/GTX+, GTS250, HD4670, HD4770, HD5670, HD4850.

All these cards should have models available between $60 and $100 online, and would all handle those games quite well - some better than others. The GTS 250 may actually require a rebate to get it under the $100 mark.

If you want specific recommendations, tell us how much you're willing to spend and we can try to find you the best card at that price.
m
l
April 14, 2010 6:05:05 PM

RazberyBandit said:
I think the 5750 and 5770 aren't quite worth the investment in an older system like this. You can get similar graphics power from the previous generation. So I'd go with something under $100, not over. Cards such as:

9600GT, GT240, 9800GT, 9800GTX/GTX+, GTS250, HD4670, HD4770, HD5670, HD4850.

All these cards should have models available between $60 and $100 online, and would all handle those games quite well - some better than others. The GTS 250 may actually require a rebate to get it under the $100 mark.

If you want specific recommendations, tell us how much you're willing to spend and we can try to find you the best card at that price.

not more than 100 dollars. this one costed me like 110 dollars, and do you think a graphic card of 512 mb will work with this games?i had one before and it worked great, until it got burnt, im not sure why.(i think the name of the graphic card was something like 7600 gs or 7800)

i havent yet taked the computer to the computer store to see what do they say, i hope its just a bad card, so i can get a new one for free, because i have spent 180 dollars on this now...if i have to buy another card it will be like another 100
m
l
April 14, 2010 9:32:31 PM

From that picture, I would lean towards the card being at fault. But if it seems to happen over time, it's probably getting too hot. Simply getting too hot isn't truly a defect unless it can be proven that the card will not keep itself cool within a ventilated enclosure at room temperature.

If you don't already have it, download GPU-Z and use it's Sensor monitor while playing a game to see what temps it records. If the max temps are exceeding 90C, then it's very likely the card is just getting too hot. Try playing with the side cover removed and see if the temps decline. If they do, it's not the card, it's the ventilation within your system.

As far as your question about 512mb or 1gb cards, 512mb is really all that's necessary to play almost every game out there at resolutions up to 1920x1200. That's the resolution where 1gb cards can start to really show an advantage, especially when Anti-Aliasing is enabled.
m
l
April 17, 2010 3:09:00 AM

RazberyBandit said:
From that picture, I would lean towards the card being at fault. But if it seems to happen over time, it's probably getting too hot. Simply getting too hot isn't truly a defect unless it can be proven that the card will not keep itself cool within a ventilated enclosure at room temperature.

If you don't already have it, download GPU-Z and use it's Sensor monitor while playing a game to see what temps it records. If the max temps are exceeding 90C, then it's very likely the card is just getting too hot. Try playing with the side cover removed and see if the temps decline. If they do, it's not the card, it's the ventilation within your system.

As far as your question about 512mb or 1gb cards, 512mb is really all that's necessary to play almost every game out there at resolutions up to 1920x1200. That's the resolution where 1gb cards can start to really show an advantage, especially when Anti-Aliasing is enabled.

the temp is around 60c, hmmm i guess its a bad card then?
m
l
April 17, 2010 10:46:10 AM

60C as a MAX temp isn't hot at all. It's actually a very, very good load temperature. I've seen cards that idle at higher temps than that. Are you certain that's it's the MAX temp, not just the temp at the time you looked? If you're uncertain, here's how to double-check.

GPU-Z has on it's Sensors tab a check-box at the bottom to allow it to continue to monitor temps while you're gaming or doing other things. Make sure to check that box. Now play a game for a while (10-20mins) and go back to GPU-Z. When back on the Sensors tab, use the pull-down menu on the "GPU Temperature" sensor and select "Show Highest Reading." If that shows ~60C, then cooling is not an issue. If it shows a temp approaching or above 90C, then your card is getting too hot.

Of course, heat causing the problem is just a possibility. This may not be an error generated by the card getting too hot. The one thing that lead me to consider it a factor is when you said it happens over time. That usually indicates heat is at least a factor in the problem.

I outlined a few steps previously on how to deal with a hot card. If none of them manage to bring temps down and the problem keeps occuring, then I'd suggest just replacing the card.

In all honesty, a 9400GT is simply not a very capable card when it comes to gaming. There are plenty of cards in the $50-$75 range that would literally run circles around it. If at all possible, considering returning it for refund or exchanging it for something with more "umph." I can make recommendations if you choose to go down that road.
m
l
!