Sign in with
Your question

MSI BB X-Power Intel SATA RAID/Marvell Controller don't play nice!

Last response: in Motherboards
January 24, 2011 8:01:27 AM

Hi all!

I'm in the middle of building a new system, using an MSI Big Bang X-Power X58 motherboard.

My setup is as follows:

CPU: Core i7-970
Memory 3 x 4 GB G.Skill PC3-2000
GPU: XFX Radeon HD5830
Disks:
1 x Crucial 128 GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
2 x WD 1 TB SATA 3 Gb/s HDD
2 x SATA Blu-ray drives

So, I want to install the system on the SSD. The two hard drives will be mirrored to store data external to the C: drive.

At first I had no disk problems, but had numerous others using the v1.2 BIOS. So I upgraded to v1.4

Now, I can enable (and see) the SSD, if the Intel controller is NOT in RAID mode!

If, however, I switch the Intel controller to RAID mode (which I WANT to do!), the SATA 6Gb/s controller DISAPPEARS!

As long as the Intel controller is set to RAID, the BIOS doesn't see the SSD AT ALL! Furthermore, the Marvell utility doesn't come up during the boot process!

I am TOTALLY stumped! If I ever turn the Intel controller to ACHI or IDE, the Marvell controller comes back!

Now, I had both of these controllers on my old board (a Gigabyte P55). The Marvell was set to 3Gb/s, not 6, but, regardless, they both worked together.

On this board, I CANNOT use my SSD if my data disk is mirrored, which I WANT to do!!!

I would greatly appreciate any help here!

Thanks!
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2011 8:09:22 AM

Its MSI what do you expect? perhaps reset cmos and start again, also the controller may switch off if specific pcie ports are in use..
m
l
!