Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU not booting up

Last response: in CPUs
July 15, 2010 4:44:24 PM

I recently installed a E8400 Core 2 duo on my P5K Asus motherboard. First two times I started up the PC it opened up to the ASUS boot screen and was frozen. The third time I was able to press setup but it promptly froze. Now nothing even shows up on the screen.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: Reinstalled the old processor, updated the bios, installed the new processor. Wept tears of joy.

More about : cpu booting

a b à CPUs
July 15, 2010 4:50:54 PM

What are the rest of the hardware specs?

Try using 1 RAM chip at a time.
Score
July 15, 2010 5:14:40 PM

ASUS P5K mobo
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
9800gt 512mb EVGA
2gb USHKIN x2
520 W corsair

Currently prying open the case like some kind of bipedal crab
Score
Related resources
July 15, 2010 5:16:19 PM

Sorry if this is a stupid question: The RAM is dual channel, do I need to worry about using one on its own?

ALSO: googling, I'm seeing alot of talk about needing to update my BIOS inorder for the mobo to recognize my new CPU.
Score
July 15, 2010 5:36:17 PM

Going to swap out the new CPU for the old one, download the latest bios and swap the new one back in. Wish me luck.

UPDATE: old cpu in, everything is booting up fine. Downloading BIOS now.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 15, 2010 5:39:42 PM

The BIOS version is a possibility. It really depends on the version that you're on right now. Each revision usually comes with new CPU support.

Even though your RAM is dual channel, it can still run single.
July 15, 2010 5:54:55 PM

Good to know about the ram, I was afraid it might burst into flames.

Using the ASUS bios updater tool right now. Just flashed the bios (why the hell not) and it's now loaded with default. Going to use the updater to load the new Bios and pray to that vengeful bastard in the sky.

Update: God damn I hate whoever made this mobo/heatsink, the pegs never get locked in place properly.
Score
July 15, 2010 6:28:09 PM

So the excitement of finally having it installed and the PC booting up nice and proper was difused by it not having any FPS increase and immedietly crashing. I'm eyeing the PSU. Possibly the ram.
Score
July 15, 2010 6:53:00 PM

Best answer selected by ScrubbyNub.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 16, 2010 12:37:00 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!