Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help nooby

Last response: in CPUs
July 15, 2010 5:01:46 PM

hi im derek i dont know much about computers but i just bought this one and im not sure how good it is heres the specs
core 2 quad q9400
8 gigs ram
9800gt
1tb hard drive

its base is a studio 540 im not sure but id like to know how much more i can upgrade this tower money isnt a big problem i just wanna make this tower the best it could possibly be im not even sure how much ram the board supports or even what board it has all help greatly apprechiated

More about : nooby

a c 159 à CPUs
July 15, 2010 6:46:06 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- That is a very solid CPU
2- 8GB are more that enough for run any game
3- Maybe a new GPU is a good idea
4- Not problem with the 1TB

If u want know how much RAM u can install, u need check the mobo's manufacturer manual.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2010 6:58:33 PM

derekp22 said:
hi im derek i dont know much about computers but i just bought this one and im not sure how good it is heres the specs
core 2 quad q9400
8 gigs ram
9800gt
1tb hard drive

its base is a studio 540 im not sure but id like to know how much more i can upgrade this tower money isnt a big problem i just wanna make this tower the best it could possibly be im not even sure how much ram the board supports or even what board it has all help greatly apprechiated

You didn't state for what you'll be using this PC for. Like which apps, which games, etc
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 83 à CPUs
July 15, 2010 8:31:56 PM

Your looking at close to $200 or more to get a better processor, and it won't be much better than what you have as the Core2Quads are the best for your motherboard. With 8Gb ram you probably have 4 sticks 2Gb each, to put more in you'll need to replace the ram already in there with 4Gb sticks, which cost around $125-$150 a piece for DDR2. Excluding a better gpu in the future, there isn't much of a cost effective upgrade for that machine, it's already pretty high end for it's platform.
July 16, 2010 11:49:02 PM

great i really apprechiate the help nd this site is the best computer help i could find and to get i plan to use my comp for hd streaming and games (diablo 3) i cant wait
also i paid $798.00 for the toweris that a good price i was leanig towards an i5 but he convinced me tis one was bette but if its fully upgraded tn i do do much wh nw stuff comes out im starting to think i should hav went fot te i5 it had less ram and that but atleast it is upgradable
m
l
July 16, 2010 11:51:22 PM

Best answer selected by derekp22.
m
l
July 16, 2010 11:54:37 PM

ty very much Saint19 i would have picked ur answer for best but the one i chose had a little more but i really liked what you said short and in words i can understand ive been trying to read abut upgrading my power source to runn the nvidia gpu 8800 i think woud there been much point like or is my rig already as good as it can get
m
l
July 17, 2010 12:08:57 AM

saint19 said:
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- That is a very solid CPU
2- 8GB are more that enough for run any game
3- Maybe a new GPU is a good idea
4- Not problem with the 1TB

If u want know how much RAM u can install, u need check the mobo's manufacturer manual.

ty very much Saint19 i would have picked ur answer for best but the one i chose had a little more but i really liked what you said short and in words i can understand ive been trying to read abut upgrading my power source to runn the nvidia gpu 8800 i think woud there been much point like or is my rig already as good as it can get

m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
July 17, 2010 3:22:52 PM

Don't worry man, the idea is help u not get the best answer ;)  enjoy ur upgrades.
m
l
!