NVIDIA vs ATi cores measurements????

ahmadumair

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Hi guys. I have been searching for a budget GFX card lately for gaming at low resolutions (1024x768).One thing i dont understand is. I will give you an example:-

The 8800 GTX from Nvidia
Th radeon 4670 from ATi

8800 GTX has 128 cores
4670 has 320 cores

4670 1 GB
8800 GTX 1GB

8800GTX 128 bit gDDR memory
4670 the same

And still..................................................................................................................
..............................................The 8800 GTX is faster. It has an overall difference of about 200 cores but still the 8800 GTX is faster!!!!!!!!!! why is that?

This is just one example there are many others too for e.g 5670 vs 9800GT etc.
:eek:

kravmaga

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
You're comparing apples with oranges.
Different chips designs have different pipeline architecture and ati's cores are hardly anything like nvidia's cores.
If you look further, you can see that despite having 3-4 times the amount of cores, ati's chips are in the same bracket when it comes to transistor count so there is no way those ati cores are even close to the same complexity as nvidia's.

Frankly, specification numbers haven't been a good way to estimate real life performance for quite a while... Nowadays, you need to understand the different needs of different applications and their respective bottlenecks to even make an educated guess of how these numbers will translate. If you're in a hurry, forgot all of those and just look up the benchmark for what you'll use it for.

If you want to understand it a bit better then look at these two links
http://www.beyond3d.com/content/reviews/16
http://www.beyond3d.com/content/reviews/1/14

The new Fermi cards from nvidia are differant again but the two links while not bang upto date give a good idea of how teh differant camps Archetecture differ.

Ps just to say that there are probably some links on the home page of that site to up to date analasis of teh new ATI Cypres cores as well.
Mactronix