Horizonal Lines during Gameplay WTF please help

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 10, 2010 7:28:15 AM

Hi all,

I have been having these problems ever since i began to build my new computer but cannon absolutely figure it out...

Let me give my specs:

Xfx nforce 750i Mobo, Ultra 500W Power supply, 4 gb of (ddr2) ram 2 usuable, 2 nvidia xfx 9800 gt videocards in sli.....

It is somewhat weird how the video cards sit, the original card I had that goes in the pci-e 16 slot doesnt have any connectors, but the second card has a 6 pin connector- I would say this could be the issue, except it has done this since the i first built my computer

So recently its seems the problem could be getting worst, or simply its could be because im playing more intense games like call of duty 4.

HERE IS WHAT HAPPENS:

during some of the most intense gameplay the video will break into off colored horizonal lines-some shaded some maybe not, its always seems somewhat the same and the results almost always seem the same:

For example, while shooting the most intense guns- the ak47, mp5 etc, it breaks into a horizontal "break"

All drivers HAVE BEEN updated. I have ruled out that it is not my outlets. In the very most intese parts i would say that this has been happening since i first built my pc, and at the same time, it cannot be a single card as a tried both and both of them had line breaks

This is somewhat miniscule, but is getting very annoying very quickly, and i would like some advice about what i should do....

More about : horizonal lines gameplay wtf

April 10, 2010 11:42:07 AM

Well ... you have TWO 26 Amp GPUs hanging off of a 500Watt PSU ... Do the MATH.

12Volts x 26Amps x 2GPUs = 624Watts? ... The rest of the system needs power too !

= Alvin =

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
April 10, 2010 2:24:03 PM

Alvin Smith said:
Well ... you have TWO 26 Amp GPUs hanging off of a 500Watt PSU ... Do the MATH.

12Volts x 26Amps x 2GPUs = 624Watts? ... The rest of the system needs power too !

= Alvin =

......your math is way off

the 26 amp recommendation is a joke, I ran the 9800GT off a 18a PSU. Even if we take the 26a seriously, the card itself only uses 9-10a, the rest is for the PC. So a second card would not need the full 26a, rather just a fraction since you won't need a second PC. Hence Nvidia recommendations

Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amp Amps.)
Minimum 450 Watt for SLI mode system.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 28 Amp Amps

What could be causing the issue is one 9800GT is a standard card while the second is the energy efficient model. It could be a power issue also but if this is your PSU, you should be ok. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/867/10

Try running your games on just the standard 9800GT and see what happens. Or look to upgrade to a single ATI 5770, sell the two 9800GT cards to cover the cost.
April 10, 2010 3:51:24 PM

Well, I might meet the Ferret half way ...

Think about it ... when does the problem occur? ... when does it not?

So ... Make that a 650W (rather than a 750W) ... And there are no guarantees that your PSU is putting out the full rated/spec power (that it should be).

Too little power when (one/both) cards are under full load.

Be absolutely sure BOTH GPU fans are spinning, when under load as heat is prolly the only other issue that might explain the symptoms.

= Al =

And please ... DO report back to this thread when you get it solved (if not before).

m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 10, 2010 4:00:29 PM

Alvin Smith said:
Well, I might meet the Ferret half way ...

Think about it ... when does the problem occur? ... when does it not?

So ... Make that a 650W (rather than a 750W) ... And there are no guarantees that your PSU is putting out the full rated/spec power (that it should be).

Too little power when (one/both) cards are under full load.

Be absolutely sure BOTH GPU fans are spinning, when under load as heat is prolly the only other issue that might explain the symptoms.

= Al =

And please ... DO report back to this thread when you get it solved (if not before).

while it may be a bad power supply, the PSU at stock is more then capable to power the cards

and your explanation of how to figure out power needs was pure crap
m
l
April 10, 2010 5:56:39 PM

"pure crap"

Well, the rails are rated and the cards are rated ... wonder why they do that ??

Also ... over at "New Build" I VERY RARELY see ANYBODY specifying ANYthing less than 650Watt for SLI of 5770 on up (when 2xSLI is in the plan).

I'm not saying you are wrong ... I'm just defending my fairly simple logic ... Take the listed ratings and use common electonic formula for power P=IxE.

Also ... at least one of those cards craps out ONLY when it is topped-out ...
... I may be incorrect, but my formulas are correct and my logic is sound ...
... Maybe it is the power ratings that are total crap .... maybe all the senior techs on NewBuild are full of crap, for specing 650W for 2x5770 and 750W for 2x5850 on up.

... I do think you are correct about the "over-rating", tho ... joke or not.

= Al =
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 10, 2010 6:54:06 PM

Alvin Smith said:
"pure crap"

Well, the rails are rated and the cards are rated ... wonder why they do that ??

Also ... over at "New Build" I VERY RARELY see ANYBODY specifying ANYthing less than 650Watt for SLI of 5770 on up (when 2xSLI is in the plan).

I'm not saying you are wrong ... I'm just defending my fairly simple logic ... Take the listed ratings and use common electonic formula for power P=IxE.

Also ... at least one of those cards craps out ONLY when it is topped-out ...
... I may be incorrect, but my formulas are correct and my logic is sound ...
... Maybe it is the power ratings that are total crap .... maybe all the senior techs on NewBuild are full of crap, for specing 650W for 2x5770 and 750W for 2x5850 on up.

... I do think you are correct about the "over-rating", tho ... joke or not.

= Al =

there is only one way to find out how much power you need, find out how much power each component uses. I can easily prove 650w (from a solid PSU) is not needed to run 5770 in crossfire (FYI;sli is for Nvidia only)

at peak power the following system uses 284w (you will also see the 9800GT uses similar power)
- Intel
Core i7 965 Extreme Edition (Overclocked @ 3.70GHz)
- x3 2GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 (CAS 9-9-9-24)
- Asus P6T Deluxe (Intel X58)
- OCZ GameXStream (700 watt)
- HIS Radeon HD 5770 (1GB)

http://www.techspot.com/review/209-ati-radeon-hd-5770/p...

so if I double everything! two CPU, 12GB of RAM, two motherboards, two 5770, two hard drives, two disc drives, i would use 568w max! but crossfire does not work like that since the only thing you actually double is the video card. At worst the 5770 uses 120w
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

so 120w + 284w = 404w

so a very good 450w PSU (corsair, antec, seasonic) can actually handle the 5770 in CF and a 500w solid PSU is more then capable

now obviously the 650w will aid in future upgrades, like CF two 5850 but the power requirements you stated are over board and no single tests justifies them.

m
l
April 10, 2010 7:03:26 PM

Although it is a great idea to upgrade my power supply, which i probably will here in the very soon future; i believe my problem is something in the nvidia control panel, they have a wide range of settings under 3d settings that i needed to change, Among different settings you can choose global, and at the same time choose a specific application. In my case it was Call of Duty 4.

soon after i posted this i went into the nvidia control panel-under 3d settings and changed how my cards work in sli, along with vertical sync-which helps eliminate vertical tearing during intestse gameplay and 3d rendering. After messing around with some other settings I ran the iw3mp.exe and played the game and it now works perfectly!

Thanks for the advice about a new power supply tho, it will be my next upgrade!

m
l
April 12, 2010 1:34:00 AM

Well ... I am glad I am wrong and I WILL remember your solution ...

... I think you should give the Ferret a "best answer" for at least countermining my "absolute ruling" ... which was in error.

... It is really a good thing that weasel just happenned to wander in, at the right moment, with the right dope ... or "better dope", at least..

= doh! =
m
l
April 12, 2010 1:42:38 AM

CALLING ALL FERRETS !

So, can my ANtec TPII-480 (18Amps per Rail @ 33Amps +12V combined) push TWO 9800GTs (I DO have 2x6pins) ... ? ?

... Or 2x 250s ?

= Alvin =

m
l
April 14, 2010 6:02:04 AM

Best answer selected by Mainevent422.
m
l
April 14, 2010 6:07:20 AM

****UPDATE**** okay ill be honest, 500W Ultra may be the bare minimum, your gonna have a few problems and as hard as i have tried. the settings in the nvidia control panel are just not a powerful enough solution,

MY next problems involved a nasty sound issue eventhouh my motherboard has 7.1 anyway, i had some problems with laggy, gross, hazzy sound a some graphic details. after messing around a bit, i figured out, that 500 w, just isnt sufficiant for 2 sli-XFX 9800gt video cards.

500 watts just isnt enough. it may turn on, run great, play games videos, but there just isnt enough juice going to both cards. sound, dual link and 3d quality issues.

FOR THE SLI 9800 GT (From an experience point of view)

I recommend a power supply >500 Watts!!!!
m
l
April 14, 2010 7:32:37 AM

Well, I guess you won't be absolutely certain until you upgrade.

Corsair makes a great 650Watt for $119 ... built like a tank and good, clean powah!

= Alvin =

m
l
!