Sign in with
Your question

Mobo will not post, no beep

Last response: in Motherboards
January 24, 2011 5:41:59 PM

Just finished putting a new build together. As i'm sure all you know there are usually kinks, but i can't seem to figure this one out.

checked all the wiring, everything is installed correctly, wore a braclet; dimms are good, i checked them on my other comp, but the mobo will not post. do not get a beep, tried this with dimms removed which should work if it's the memory and still no beep/post. not sure what else it could be except a bad mobo.

any ideas would be appreciated!!

Thanks

More about : mobo post beep

January 24, 2011 6:13:55 PM

remove everything from the case. Put mobo on non-conductive surface, mount CPU and fan, memory, video card. Plug the necessary power connector from PSU, and monitor. Turn PSU on, you might have to manually short the PWR jumper on mobo. See if it POST. If does, put the whole seup inside the case.

Be sure to use the standoffs. I have seen people screwing mobo directly to case and short the mobo when turn it on.
m
l
January 28, 2011 1:05:41 PM

Thanks for the quick response, unfortunately i haven't had much time to work on my problem; I had to go back to work, and am working really long days now.

Ok so I pulled mobo out, mounted everything, still did not post. I did have power though. Same thing when I put mobo back in case. I'm sure the memory is good, as I tested it on my other mobo. any other ideas?

thanks
m
l
Related resources
January 30, 2011 3:14:38 PM

electrontau said:
remove everything from the case. Put mobo on non-conductive surface, mount CPU and fan, memory, video card. Plug the necessary power connector from PSU, and monitor. Turn PSU on, you might have to manually short the PWR jumper on mobo. See if it POST. If does, put the whole seup inside the case.

Be sure to use the standoffs. I have seen people screwing mobo directly to case and short the mobo when turn it on.

Tried all of this, sending it back tomorrow, just figured I would ask if you knew of anything else that i could try.

Thanks

m
l
January 30, 2011 6:37:39 PM

could be the BIOS. would need to see your computer specs. This happened to me when I got my new CPU and it wouldnt post or beep. Even though it was the same 775 socket, my mobo didnt support it. put my old CPU back in, flashed the BIOS and it booted right up after putting my new one back in. If it is a newer motherboard since its a new build then that might not be the case.
m
l
January 30, 2011 6:50:06 PM

AMD Phenom II X4 965

ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W

EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460

LG WH10LS30 10X Blu-ray Burner

Yeah mine won't post or beep. tried memory in other computer, it is fine. double checked cpu, it fits fine, and looks ok. mobo says it supports it.

m
l
!